Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus Writers vs Hackers?

Virus Writers vs Hackers?

I am doing a report for school. I just finished a report on ethical hacking, which I got an A in woot. Thanks to some of the advice here from AO. Now I have to go into why people write viruses. Now doing this as awhole is very easy, all one would have to do is google.

My question is, what are some the of the tools virus writers use? I need to cite references, program names, websites, and include screenshots in my report. The problem is, when I google references, I get previous reports and stuff, and alot of the stuff I find useful is outdated. More references are needed. Thanks in advance.

Well reason's I differ from most people's opinion. But it is usually to learn. You write it and try it out, send it to a friend or someone. Then next thing you know Bam.

Now as for tools. Alot are just written in plain Coding languages. Like C, C++ depends.

Now for sites www.29a.host.sk

That is a good one go there.

Well, most of the really dangerous virii are written in assembly, but not necessarily..It all depends on the person and their motives..For example if someone just downloads someone elses code, of course that's not virii writing, but if they download a virii construction tool of some type, they made the virus but not necessarily..Try to talk about all these aspects, put some code in your report, should get you an A .
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Some people do it out of revenge some just because they can. I know many who have launched against microsoft over thier objection to open source code
    [shadow]NorthernLytes[/shadow]
    NorthernLytes Raves [glowpurple]Go to my website! u wont be sorry![/glowpurple]

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    ok now thats just stupid...for someone to attack a server out of spite...or just because they dont believe what a certain company stands for is immature on the person's part and in my opinion not a hacker. He isnot a kiddie script either since he coded the virii/exploit but he is the essence of a 'cracker'. Those who do it are usually immature people who are really knowledgable but not responsible...have you ever heard of the phrase "With knowledge comes responsibility" that is the greatest truth i have ever heard.

As for the original question, there are some 'virii' writing programs but those programs are usually used by kiddie scripts...people who tried to learn to code themselves but werent able to actually ever code(kinda like squibs from the book harry potter ). Most of those programs are now obsolete and most worms/virii are done in c, c++, asm, vb(for non large scale virii). The people who write them are either liek previously stated, immature people who cant handle the power rush of obtaining the knowledge, or as whizkid2300 just built for learning and wham its out on the net...mind you most of those programs are rough and not completely effective until its out on the net and some immature guys gets it and tinkers with it and then it becomes dangerous...jsut look at the last one sandbug(is that what it was called?...cant recall) there were two variations the first was rougher and got contained fast but then some1 got the code and tinkered with it and made it more infectuous. Anyways hope that helps.

Ems
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Sorry I left this out my topic, I didn't include it, but I covered all the aspects on why, people's ethical issues on the subject.

But as n01100110 said I need to cite some code, as example, and what not. I need links or I did do a search on antionline, didnt find anything relevant.

Things I need are toolkit names, websites, possibly virii writer groups websites.

I already cited ZdNEt, securityfocus and wired in my report so far.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    hmm well i have a tutorial by a friend of mine that goes into virii and explains some and gives an example o an old virus but he shows how it works and blah blah blah ...if u want i could email the 2 parts to you and maybe u cna use snipets of the code and info he provides on it for your report
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Ugh... Go to 29a Dude they have code on there.

Now as for the ethical aspect of it... What is ethical to you, might not be ethical to me.

Well while your on the Subject most Hackers/crackers/kiddies are the same people that write virus's.

I have met very few people that don't Hack/crack that write viruses.

So they kind of goes hand in hand.

You might like to search for the "Office 97 Poppy Macro Virus generation Toolkit" by vicodinES.

That will give you plenty of code. If you are half competent (as in do not work for the FBI), it will take you around 30 seconds to find out the author's real name

[It took the FEDS 9 months to prove that David L. Smith was vicodinES, and author of the melissa virus.]

You might like to look at the "magistr" virus. That was written by a Russian guy around my age........technically it is extremely competent. I guess the guy was not a "party member" so did not progress to the level that he felt he deserved................it was his way of proving himself to himself?.............he has written quite a lot of other stuff............you get to recognise their styles........

I guess that there are two basic sorts of virus author:

1. Skiddies, who just do it for a "prank" or joke.
    2. Social misfits who are trying to prove something..........same sort of people who assassinate the famous...it is their "five minutes of glory"?

Good luck with your paper

Well you can pm me, and i will give you some code.
    I can send you live virus too (i have a collection), but guess thats of no help for the SCHOOL PROJECT

The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS