Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: University Of Calgary To Offer Virus Writing Course

University Of Calgary To Offer Virus Writing Course

This article is really interesting

[ I just cut the article down to what I thought was the most important parts of it ... ]

Basically the University will be offering a new course to students whose purpose is to teach students how to write viruses. The course being introduced is called "Computer Viruses and Malware", and is gonna be offered as part of the undergraduate program in Computer Science.

Course:: will allow students to create viruses, worms, and Trojan horses ....

But for some reason some computer industry people seem to dislike this idea. One example Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos who is comparing it to teaching kids how to break into cars.

But Dr. John Aycock the main defender of the course says that this will allow students to understand how viruses are created. Thus creating better security professionals who will be abel to create more better secure software and develop better counter-measures in the future to combat viruses.

here's a link to an article -- 1st is the original article
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0527020143.htm
    http://www.vnunet.com/News/1141141

I personally think that this is a good idea what better way to prepare for future virus attacks then this..
    You teach students how to create them run them in an environment similar to a mini-internet like the one that there going to set up ... for example if the University of Calgary and the UC Berkeley and USC join together... the Canadian University could create the viruses run them on this network an thus providing them with a wealth of info on how to stop future attacks .. That would be a great idea ...What do you guys think ??
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    This is old news and was discussed a while ago (might want to do a quick search beforehand)..

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=245336
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=244180
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=244176
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=244074

But I wholehearted agree with it. I wouldn't create a network setup like you are suggesting. There is no need for that and a higher risk of "release". Better off having the students use a network setup by the prof. There are stringent requirements to take that course and they do cover ethics heavily in it.

One of the things I'm pondering for the degree I'm creating (Network Security Bachelor) is the inclusion of Grid Technology Research (security of; penetration of; etc.). That'd be an interesting challenge..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I did a search before I posted it sorry about that I somehow must have missed it ....

I am very interested in the Network Security Bachelor degree that you just briefly described could you please post more info if you dont mind ....
    Thanks
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

When it happens, I will. Right now we're still going through the hoops and barrels that the Ministry of Education requires of us. This is not a quick process. Our target start date is September 2005. So... patience is a virtue (as is determination)...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ms. M: Any chance that could be done online?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Not initially but perhaps in time.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ms. M: Darned shame..... You could probably drum up a lot of business just from around here.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Oh .. I know.. ... Personally, I'd rather the course be good but limited in location/availability than rushed and bad, available to the whole world. Resources, funding and "fear of success/failure" are things that limit what we can and cannot do.

The steps for this are:

a) get Ministry approval to run it

b) run it and figure out what works/what doesn't

c) expand it (online).

I think that we'll start to see more and more Networking Bachelors (not sure if there will be that many networking security bachelors) as time goes on. Certainly there are some universities that believe that you cannot teach administration from the get-go and that you need a huge foundation of programming. But I think that there are many universities that do believe you can teach networking methodologies in a Bachelor program.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    The school that I am attending has a Masters degree in Information Systems Security. They started the program shortly after I started work on my masters degree. I don't know how good it is, but when I get closer to finishing my masters, I am going to see if they will allow me to audit the courses. I don't know if they will let me, but a couple of my teachers have already said they will try to help it happen, so we will see.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Oh... I'd be interested in hearing about their courses. I did a fair amount of research on various degrees (all the security ones I found were pretty much Master's and specifically seemed to be about auditing/sec management).