Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NetScanTools 5

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by rmcgoo
    Excellent. Thanks a lot for your help- AO rocks
    You've got that right. I would give you some positive ap's for saying that, but I have to spread mine around. You got lucky today, you probably wouldn't get that explicit of an answer most of the time here.

HAHAHA i did the thing on port 139, he was workin on his computer and i started print off pictures of leprehcans! Awesome- is there a name for what i just did, or was it just childs play?
    Thats not a good thing... that means anyone else who gets to his PC can do the same thing.
    That means he has defualt shares and no password protecting it... nor any other access control.

You should have him disable file/print sharing, kill the http server (unless he needs it) and setup a software antivirus/firewall and just allow the PCs that need access to it. If its just a workstation and you don't share devices, block all.

More than likely... you're ISP is going to be your mail server... unless you have set one up yourself. There is no need for him to have port 25 open on the recieving end. 110 is ok, as that is how you get your mail.

It is generally a good idea to block all to start anyway, then allow as you need.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Wazz, i havent tried any net commands, and havent used telnet much at all- Link me or tell me about it!

Oh yeah I know, we deliberately turned off the firewall on his machine- but thanks for the heads up anyway
    Here I come, I\'m droppin\' PLATES

Elite Hacker
    net commands would get you the same thing as typing \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at the run prompt only that latter is much faster. Telnet is used to connect to services on a remote machine. Since you have found those ports open, a good place to start is to telnet to all the ports and see what happens
    telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port
    there is a tut in the tut forum by noODle: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ghlight=telnet
    that should get you going. Happy hacking(I use this word meaning discovering new things).

Of course- the only reason I started doing this is because this is exactly what I learned someone on my campus was doing to me. At least until i sent my logs in

It might be a good idea to repost one or two of those port list sites. These are basically the list of services that run on the first 1024 reserved ports, plus a few more special ones. Neither list is complete and they complement each other really well.

http://www.opendoor.com/doorstop/ports.html
    http://www.hackerwhacker.com/portslist.html

This is a list of the 10 most probed ports. It is constantly being updated:

http://www.dshield.org/topports.php
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Glad you're having fun rmcgoo, just be careful...LOL Go to a command prompt and type net. You'll get a specific list of options you can use with the net command...poke around yourself a bit to find some interesting things. Telnet is very cool as well....once connect to any given port, bang on the keyboard a bit and on certain ports, you'll get some "curious" info..have a blast!

P.S. - I wouldn't try this on any random boxes or specific "targets".....you can get into BIG trouble grasshoppa!
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

one last question- I understand that when my roomates folders are shared, I have the ability to take and place different files- but when I try to exectute one of these files, it runs on my machine. If malware was placed onto my machines shared folder, how would a hacker run the program on my machine? Also- is zone alarm any good? I dont feel like payin for another copy of norton

Elite Hacker
    The "Hacker" would either have to have control of your machine, or you would have to run it. Basically you have access to folders on a machine, but not a machine, therefore your machine is still used to run the files. If you had some sort of remote connection tool such as VNC then you could run programs on another computer. As for firewalls, I have heard that Sygate is really good from FrameWork. I have used zonealarm and thought it was alright, but it is not the most secure.

Originally posted here by n01100110
    Well there is cisco IOS, which is Inter-networking Operating Software which is a little OS that the router uses for configurations etc, Im still taking cisco so i don't have it mastered..
    But as for GFI, that program has been known for false positives..It caused me alot of head aches when I was scanning my systems, but they were just misinterpreted services, that sort of thing..

A lot of times when you do a portscan of a router, it has difficulty guessing the remote Operating system. When this happens, it tends to tell you that it is some sort of a Unix/Linux system. As for the webserver part, you might have an option turned on that lets you access your routers config over the internet which would maybe show up on a portscan as having a webserver running. For example, with my Linksys router I can turn on or off the option to access my router over the internet.
    =