Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux

Linux

I was just wondering what verison of Linix is the best security wise. I was thinking about installing it on my box, but i didn't know which would be the best. The ones i'm considering are: Linux 95, Linux 98, and Linux XP. Out of those, which would you guys recommend? Thanks for the help!!

KosherMan

/me scrathes his head.

Ugh...
    Ugh...

WTF are you talking about. First Do you mean Windows XP , 98 , 95

There is no Linux Xp
    and why do you have this in M$ Security discussions.

It is about Linux.

Ok now if your looking for a LInux distro. Since it seems you need a little help. Try RH.

It should be good for you.

Elite Hacker
    I would say Linux XP
    just kidding, is this a joke. Windows has 95, 98, and XP. Linux has many different distrobutions such as redhat, mandrake, suse, gentoo, slackware. I have heard that debian is really secure, also have heard good things about slackware. As for windows, if you were mistaking linux and windows, go with windows XP pro, it has the most configuration settings you can tweak to make it reasonably secure.

edit
    I second whizkid on RedHat if you are talking about linux, although if you are new any of redhat, suse, and mandrake are pretty easy to start. Gore would say Suse which is a very good choice, but really any of those three will get you started in linux. Also for linux, I would like to recommend Lycoris. It is very windows like and probably easier than the above to get used to if you are used to windows.

at first I was also going to say wtf... however there IS (much to my surprise) a linux XP

http://www.tuxfiles.org/antihelp/linux-xp.html

god... don't you guys know anything

Z

<....waiting for the penny to drop....>
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I would either use redhat or slackware or you could just try them all and decide from that. everyone has their likes and dislikes when it comes to different distros of linux

thanks guys, i guess i got really mixed up...it must be the drugs. sorry

rofl, well, hey don't feel too bad. I originally thought Linux was a programming language. If you are lookin into something secure, why don't you try OpenBSD? But if you really want to stick with Linux, SuSE seems to run really nice for me now, wouldn't you agree gore? The only unfortunate thing with RedHat is that I hear they stopped the desktop line and are going server/enterprise/bigandexpensive only. Mandrake is a great starting one in my opinion, and if u love it, try SuSE! Just don't run any services you don't need! If you are just using it as a desktop for surfing the net and stuff, you really don't need to install the DNS servers, DHCP server, Samba, etc etc etc cuz its only gonna open you up more. Install only what you need, update often, and then you can relax a little. Mind you I would highly recommend learning iptables. A great book I picked up, 'Linux Firewalls Second Edition' has coverage of iptables and tripwire, and its really good. Its by Robert L. Ziegler and the ISBN is 0-7357-1099-6. Happy *nixin'!

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Developer Extraordinar
    Blah, not RedHat, the older ones are good, yeah, but, RedHat is disconinuting the RedHat home line, and makign RedHat a pay distro or whatever the hell you'll call it, and releasing Fedora, which is like RedHat 9 + Some more annoying features - the shell. I'd say go with Mandrake of SuSE for starting out, then move to Slackware. SuSE is very easy to configure, and it is very secure.

And yes, I know I sound like a guy who thinks he knows Linux so well, and doesn't want to sound like a "n00b" for saying RedHat, but, in my honest opinion, RedHat is going down hill. Fedora won't live long, since it has no support from RedHat.

If you were talking about Windows, I'd say go with Windows XP Pro. It is more stable than the Home edition, so I'm told. And probably more secure too...

MB

I personally like 98 more than XP
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?

Developer Extraordinar
    I don't think Microsoft supports Windows 98 anymore, and I think there are some pretty big bugs for it. I'd say your best bet it to stay with the newer releases...