Thread: Microsoft: Virtual PC Will Run Linux

Microsoft: Virtual PC Will Run Linux

Microsoft: Virtual PC Will Run Linux
    By Peter Galli
    November 10, 2003

Microsoft Corp. on Monday will announce the release of its Virtual PC technology to manufacturing and that the final product will be available to customers by the end of this year at a lower price than the original Connectix product.

Microsoft in February acquired the Virtual Machine assets of Connectix Corp., a privately held company in San Mateo, Calif., that has been involved in Virtual Machine (VM) technology since its inception in 1988.

Carla Huffman, Microsoft's product manager for the Virtual PC, told eWEEK that the software will be available by the end of the year, through Microsoft's existing retail and volume licensing channels, for an estimated retail price of $129, $100 less than the Connectix price of $229.

"The core scenario around this product is helping customers solve application compatibility issues, and we wanted to provide a cost-effective price point for them," she said.

The technology will run almost any x86 operating system in a Virtual PC environment, Huffman stressed. "So Linux can be installed on a virtual machine on Virtual PC. There has been some misunderstanding about this: You absolutely can run Linux in Virtual PC," she said.

"We have not removed any technical features that supported other non-Microsoft operating systems. So there is no negative impact to customers to running non-Microsoft operating systems on Virtual PC," she said.

The confusion around the product has been around official Microsoft product support services, Huffman said, adding that Microsoft is treating the use of Linux the same way it treats the use of any third-party application on a Windows operating system.

Read "Microsoft Moves Virtual PC from Linux."

"We don't support Linux, and we also don't support third-party applications. We direct customers to their Linux providers if they have an issue running Linux on Virtual PC, and if that Linux provider triages that issue as a Virtual PC bug and submits a bug report, we'll work with them to fix the problem. We're treating them like we treat third-party applications," she said.

But Microsoft has optimized the product around key customer needs, which is helping them address application compatibility issues they are having with older, custom-written applications when they are buying new PCs and upgrading to newer operating systems, she said.

"So we have optimized our product around running those older operating systems in a virtual machine environment. That is why we support the older Windows operating systems and [IBM's] OS/2, which is a big pain point for those customers facing the end of life of OS/2 in the next year or two and who need to migrate off of it," she said.

The 250-odd beta testers for Virtual PC have expressed the desire to run other operating systems, especially in testing scenarios, and the product has met their needs in this regard, Huffman said. "We have not heard negative feedback from those testers that the product wasn't sufficient for their needs," she said.

The Virtual Server product, currently in development, is on track for release in the first half of next year.

Asked whether Microsoft is considering integrating the virtual technology into the core Windows kernel, Huffman skirted the issue, saying Microsoft is committed to developing virtualization solutions for the Windows platform. "It's too early to say how we will deliver these solutions going forward," Huffman said.

Microsoft puts focus on security.

Microsoft spent most of the eight months of development time focusing on the security of the product to ensure that a user cannot do anything in a virtual machine that would negatively affect their host operating system or other virtual machines on the host PC , she said.

New features of Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 include support for as many as four network cards within each virtual machine, up from one previously; and an XML-formatted file-based configuration of virtual machines to ease corporate deployment and provide cross-compatibility with the upcoming release of Virtual Server. It also now has support for up to 4GB of memory, and users can allocate up to 3.6GB of RAM for each virtual machine, with a total of 4GB for all virtual machines and host operating systems on the machine.

Ben Armstrong, program manager for Virtual PC, said beta testers have not run into any legacy applications that don't run on Virtual PC. Microsoft has tried to test a fair range of legacy applications that are representative of what customers would run.

"However, the majority of legacy applications that we see enterprises dealing with today are applications that they have developed in-house, and in that scenario there is nothing much that we can provide as a rubber stamp around whether it will work or not," he said.

The typical scenario is that corporate IT managers will install Virtual PC and then set up their legacy environment and confirm that everything works. Once they have done this, they can then just deploy the image. If there is a problem, the customer can work with Microsoft product support, he said.

Asked about the future of Virtual PC, Huffman said Microsoft is committed to the product and there will be a next version. The team is focusing on integration with Virtual Server so that the code base is shared by both. "Aside from that, it's just too early for me to comment," she said.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1378273,00.asp

I remember trying out the virtual PC on windows 2000 , two years ago.Windows 98 worked real fast but kept crashing.Hope this doesnt.Wonder whats the security like !

Dr_Evil

thats great! however Virtual PC 2004 won't run under AMD

I just have to put it on an Intel box, but still.....
    t.e.k.n.o.

AO's Mr Grumpy

You always could run Linux on Connectix Virtual PC for Windows.
    I have been running Connectix for the past two years with no problems. I have 2000 Server, 2003 Server and Linux Mandrake 9.1 running as Virtual PC's at present, with XPpro as the host O/S. I am eagerly awaiting the virtual server , but still have some concern about the product being taken over by MS
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

jm459

Which version of Connectix Virtual PC are you using ?

Dr_Evil

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    is it me or does this already exist in a very effective manner?...you guys never used VMware?...and i am sure it is cheaper than the license of Virtual Machine :/...just like microsoft to invent the already invented :P

cheers,
    ems
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

You are right!

just like microsoft to invent the already invented
    What has microsoft invented ?

Dr_Evil

AO's Mr Grumpy
    In this instance Microsoft have invented nothing, see my previous post regarding this.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ight=connectix

BTW emrys, I also use VMware, both have their advantages and disadvantages

I am using Connectix v5.2, Microsoft are offering a trial version at present, which I imagine will be the same, although I have not tested it yet
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Thanks dude ! Just found the trial version !

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/v...oads/trial.asp

Dr_Evil

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    /me goes download....as for Vmware it works perfectly for me...its liek nix in a window :P...although i have never ran a gui in nix thru vmware so maybe the preformace goes down if u dont have much ram...i have only used vmware to fsck around with turbo linux and corel...and never used a gui on them *shrug*

Ems
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"