Shell Account Question ...

Thread: Shell Account Question ...

Shell Account Question ...

Well lately I have been thinking of getting a shell account just to be able to learn and understand how the Unix OS works. Browsing and searching through the internet I have been unsuccesful so far on finding a good shell account. I was just wondering if you guys could give me any advice on what I should look for when getting one. If any of you can help me I would really appreciate it ....

Preferably an account in Canada,Ontario,Kitchener area ....
    I really dont mind if I have to pay for one, since I would actually prefer that ...

Thanks Agent
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Have you checked with any of the ISPs in Kitchener or Waterloo? What about U of Waterloo itself?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Elite Hacker
    I can have you one by the end of the week. I just need to install redhat again. You will have the same priviledges as any other normal user on my machine. How does that sound? It will be an ssh account unless you don't have an ssh client, then I guess I could start up telnet.

It will be an ssh account unless you don't have an ssh client, then I guess I could start up telnet.
    ALWAYS ALWAYS use ssh over telnet... unless you are using it for troubleshooting on your local secured LAN.

Free ssh clients...

PuTTY: a free Win32 telnet/ssh client

SSH Secure Shell for Workstations

Free for personal/educational use.

I prefer the second one, as there are many more features available.

The first one is great because it is so small and it can fit nicely on a flash USB drive so you can take it anywhere with you.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I've used Arbornet before.

http://www.arbornet.org/

It's based out of Ann Arbor Michigan which isn't too far away from you. They have been running since June 1985 so chances are they aren't going to be going off-line any time soon. I find the speed pretty good as well, but it can sometimes be a bit slow.
    Good luck!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Thanks to all you and h3r3tic that sounds like an interesting proposal [ how do I contact you ? ] ... Ms.M I always thought that you had to be a student attending the University of Waterloo to get one? As for checking for shell accounts with other ISP' I never thought of that... Currently my ISP is Golden Triangle Online[Golden Net], I was looking into trying to get a shell account with them. But when browsing through their webpages and doing some searching on google it kinda made me think that they didn't offer any... Arbornet I'll look into that Algaen thanks for the great suggestion ... phishphreek80 thank you for providing the links to the available free ssh clients ...

Just two more questions, since I am new to this ...
    1] What should I look for when getting an account ?
    2] Since I don't nil about unix any suggestions on good books out there that I can
    purchase so that I can begin to learn an understand how the Unix OS ... [ up-to-date
    info an such ...

Thanks guys I hope that I am not asking for too much ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Elite Hacker
    Agent_Steal, I will contact you through a PM when I get it set up with the address, your username, and password. Should be pretty soon, like tomorrow. Thanks phishphreek80, I will definetly have it be ssh then so you will want to look into that client. As for what to look for, basically you will get everything you would need with an account from me. It will be just like a normal user account, only through ssh so it's not graphical, only command line. I will expect you to be on your best behavior when using this account. With most of the free accounts out there you have very limited access. I got an account at freeshell.org and I can't even use telnet from there, so basically it was a waste of my time. Be watching for a PM.