Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experts question Windows patch policy

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I have to say that I have been using the autoupdate in automatic mode since day one and have never had an issue with patches not working or trashing the box or it's services. Now, I will grant that those boxes aren't doing anything "fancy" but the system has worked flawlessly for me - I can understand if you have a customized environment that is mission critical this would not be an option.

I do think that M$ should ship XP Pro/Home and 2000 with autoupdate turned ON. Server editions should probably be on too but I can see them being leary about that. However, if an admin installed a box with autoupdate on and customized it knowing that AU was on and not turning it off..... That might be his fault if it fails.......

Thoughts, comments, abuse.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thoughts, comments, abuse...
    For the most part I agree with what you said, auto-updater on by default on non-server systems sounds like it'd be a good idea and solve alot of the issues for the common user...

On the server side, I would find it rather tedious if on every install I had to go in and turn it off - so on the server side I think they should leave it off.

From the other standpoint - there has been multiple occasions where MS has recalled/removed a patch after first putting it on the update page due to flaws found in it along with occasions where their update page has been compromised and false/virus infected patches becoming available to the point where they've had to change the address of the page.

Due to those reasons, I've never trusted auto-updater on any of my systems at home or at work...

RRP

I'm all for turning ON the auto update by default and making sure OEMs do as well (don't forget about them too). In addition, how about antivirus installed and auto update on for that app as well. I bet that's why M$ bought that AV company recently.

My reasoning is that there are just way too many non-techie people who don't know, don't want to learn, don't want to deal with (pick one or all) updating their computer. And even though I feel that anyone who owns a computer should have some rudamentary understanding of it (can you say "license"), I can understand their plight.

* Turn ON auto-update by default
    * Exceptions: corporate licensed versions and servers
    * Install AV software by default
    * Turn ON AV update feature by default

Just my .015 cents.