Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virus Chaser = Good or Bad

Hi TSR,

I had another thought. As it is produced in co-operation with Dialogue Science (it uses the DrWeb engine or an OEM version of it) I thought it might be interesting to test that?

I have just obtained a trial of DrWeb 4.3

You might like to look at http://www.dials.ru/english/ which is their website.

I am beginning to think that the black screen might be something to do with the configuration of this box? as in OS/videocard/VDU combination I have a CTX 17" LCD screen and Win Me......I will look for updated drivers. I know that virus chaser "provokes" the problem, but it might have done me a favour by doing that?

AVG, SpyBot Search&Destroy, SwatIT, and AdAware 6 all run just fine and must be doing similar sorts of thing..........

I might also have comitted a criminal stupidity offence I suspect that the live ones were the result of an online attack I experienced a little while ago......I think that the thread was called "Yes I have no new antipoints, but a new virus instead"

I believe I might have sent AVG and McAfee copies of it? so I am not using a "level playing field" On the other hand, I thought that the "big boys" were all part of some information sharing club, and it DID spot the .txt version?

BTW. I still cannot get into the online help, even with the firewall switched off, so it isn't a conflict there.

A small bitch at this stage..............I cannot find a way of disabling the online scanner! that is quite important if you load a lot of software? On the other hand, this could be a way of idiot proofing it?

I should be able to run the second labrat and Dialogue Science tests today. The second labrat will also be interesting as it is an IBM PC300 with matching IBM CRT VDU. I bet the "black screen" problem goes away!

In case you were wondering..............yes, I have done AV software beta testing in the past

Cheers, will report back

Thanks nihil appreciate your hard work and testing on this product. I have just been reviewing Dr Webs site going to check it out on your advice. Will wait for your results. Aprreciate all your help in advance

Hi TSR,

I have now completed testing the Virus Chaser product on my first machine. I was unable to resolve it producing a "blackscreen" or to get the manual update to work. I was not very impressed with the failure to spot the two test malwares I threw at it. I also thought that it ran very slowly.

I have now installed DrWeb and run it. Installation was OK and the user interface seems much more intuitive..........I did not NEED to read the manual, which is inbuilt with this one.

It took 46 minutes to scan 23,466 files, which is still about twice that of AVG. It has about 10,000 more signatures than Virus Chaser as well. VC took 66 minutes BTW.

I had absolutely no problems with the "black screen" when running DrWeb. So it looks like something to do with the Virus Chaser GUI and my configuration

I would have one caveat: the DrWeb heuristic scanning is very aggressive It came up with three "false positives" And I re-checked the files with McAfee 7.0 and PC-cillin 2002. The best one was describing HijackThis.exe as "Probably WIN.Script.worm virus" It also found the Xen cleaning/tweaking utility and some other tool.

I would not give it to my granny (ie. a novice), but I am not overly worried by false positives, and always set AVs to warn and ask for instructions. It is also meant to run in conjuction with ADinf which is a checksumming type app. This would reduce the scan time by around 10X, depending on how much change has taken place, and would stop the false positives being repeated.

This brings me to another point. The smaller and more obscure AVs do tend to have a regional bias towards local malware, particularly as they tend to be reported locally first. Also, the environments they are tested on reflect local software popularity.

The "big boys" are international and tend to respond to pretty much everything, which is probably another reason for their signature files being much larger? They also have many more staff to analyse and prepare updates.

I will try DrWeb on some live targets, then move to "labrat2"

Cheers

Thumbs up Virus Chaser - Conclusion

Well first of all I want to thank all the members whom have contributed to this post and did a excellent job in helping me on this issue (special thanks to nihil for this time on testing and providing me with infor. I just received a email back from Virus Chaser and have found out at the present time they do not have the rights to sell in the U.S. yet. They are in the process however in getting this set up. For now one can download from their web sight (english) a evalation version and try it out. Once again thanks to all appreciate your help and input.

A new version of it was released earlier this year. Its now v5.0a. You can get it from http://www.viruschaser.com.hk/downlo...ChaserDemo.exe.

Here's a screenshot of its new UI:

Man! this is a two-years old thread! Replying to it would insult the sensitives of some members here! Your post is somehow reasonable! Knowing about the updates in programs is not that hard! it still not justified to reply. Anyways, it is better than saying "It is a good program"

l would suggest not to post in a thread that has a flashing date!

Welcome to AO
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Hmmm, as a matter of "style" you should open the old thread, highlight the address bar, copy it, paste it into a new thread with an appropriate title like "XYZ #2" or something, then make your post regarding the old thread.

Also add any comments you may have, particularly if you have tried the software..............in which case an idea of hardware specs and operating system would be helpful.

Sorry. Are you still wanting me to make a new thread about it?

No, as you have posted it! I don't think you need to start another post! unless you have something else to add!
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Ok. Well, I do have something to say about Virus Chaser. I've been using it when it was v5.0 and thought that it had an ok UI, was easy on CPU/RAM and had a good amount of viruses it could detect (and no false postives for me). I stopped using it because its UI wasn't the best it could be. Since then, I tried other antiviruses. Just recently, I went back to its website and thought that the Korean site would have a newer version.

I then downloaded and installed it, and was happy that its UI did improve significantly. The only thing that wasn't working was the update feature. I then decided to do some searching and found that the HK site was the one that could be used as an update server. After reinstalling it from that site and following its instructions, the update service is now working (and I have an extra 2 months that I can use to update it). The only things that I would like to see added is the display of statistics for the RTM and POP3 scanner.