Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus Chaser = Good or Bad

Virus Chaser = Good or Bad

I am considering on purchasing a license for Virus chaser as I have tried it out and like it. However I would appreicate some advice and input from the members if they have used this software? Pro's and cons are appreciated. I have tried numerous anti-virus software's out but this appears to be the most friendly to my system . Here is the main web site for Virus Chaser for those that are curious. Thanks in advance
    click here

The product is South Korean................using a Russian engine from Dialogue Science, who I have known for some years.

I have downloaded it and will put it through it's paces tomorrow

Cheers

Virus Chaser Evaluation

Originally posted here by nihil
    The product is South Korean................using a Russian engine from Dialogue Science, who I have known for some years.

I have downloaded it and will put it through it's paces tomorrow

Cheers
    Appreciate your response, have you arrived a a conclusion about Virus Chaser, as I have been using it for about a week now and have found it very user friendly for starters. Low on memory consumption and very fast scan. Have a good day

i just downloaded i think im goint to start testing it

Hi,

Would have replied earlier but the power went down in the middle of it..............we are having 90Mph winds at the moment (the pleasures of living beside the sea )

I am having a bit of trouble with it, and need to investigate further.

The labrat I chose is a PII/266 with 128Mb RAM and two HDDS 2.1 & 6.4. I guess that there is about 4.5 gig of data on them. It is running Windows Me with all relevant patches and updates applied.

It took 1hour 17 minutes to do a full scan................................AVG takes 25 minutes. I will re-test that in safe mode to get a cleaner comparison, it could just be that AVG is more aggressive about grabbing resource?

There is no useful help that I can find. When I try to get the online help I get a black screen and have to hit enter to get it back up. It then shows me the contents of my "C" drive in IE!!! and keeps returning to the black screen.

Something not quite right there?............I need to look a bit closer.

The autoupdate worked well, and is incremental, so you don't have to download the whole lot and the engine each time.

It reads .txt files and found a .txt copy of Startpage.57344..............I let it "clean" it and it promptly deleted it for me That is not "cleaning" in my book? I need to look at that a bit further, as it did not seem to find the executable?????............I will have to reload the nasties from the floppy I captured them to.

I will try it on a different machine, as I suspect that it might also be having problems with my Agnitum Firewall.

I would not rush to buy it just yet. I would personally be happier with PC-cillin or McAfee right now.

Cheers

Virus Chaser

Hi nihil
    Thanks for your reply I appreciate it. Now I have been running VC for a week now and thank heavens its running flawless. Now my OS is 98SE 184Rams Compaq 5441. There have been no glitches to date with it. I scanned my hard drive with the option to "unpack" in 20 minutes complete. System resources are excellent and user friendly. As for support or info you can go to their english home page. which is
    VC Home Page

It explains all the features and details about VC
    Thanks again in advance appreciate your help

Hi TSR,

Thanks for the link, it worked just fine. The way the product is set up for testing is that you have to download the manual as a separate exercise. I guess this is to make it 56.6 friendly?

I am sure that most of the problems I have encountered are due to some kind of contention/conflict which I will attempt to identify and resolve.

I am going to put it on an IBM PC300 booting Win98SE. That has a PIII/533 and 320Mb RAM and a 10Gb HDD. It should make an interesting comparison.

I would agree that it does not seem to cause any resource problems at all, which is important for WinMe users.

I will report back, as soon as I have more results.

BTW Some people may look at it and say "It only has 34,000 signatures in its pattern file, whilst McAfee and Norton have 70,000" Well that is true, but a lot depends on how you count them?

For example VIRUS#1a-z could be counted as anything from one to twenty-six? Also a lot of the viruses in the big boys' databases contain stuff that is so old that it probably would not run on a modern OS?

Cheers, have a good week-end

I agree. Some of the Sigs that come with mcafee still include tiny etc and other boot sector and floppy transmitting virii.

Have a good weekend everyone. I'm off to the pub now.

Hi,

I have now been working on the original labrat/installation, (PII/266) for three hours . I am using the pattern files dated 14th November. Additional findings:

1. Even with everything else switched off it takes 1Hour 6Minutes to scan 23,619 files. And that is WITHOUT the compressed file scanning enabled! AVG took 21 minutes 28 seconds WITH compressed file scanning. Hardly anything else is running, and I have adjusted it to run at maximum priority...................It did run 11 minutes faster than in a "normal" environment.

2. I still get a black screen and scanning stops. I can restart it by hitting <enter> or moving the mouse (sometimes). I am not running a screensaver or powersaving scheme!

3. It found 2 instances of the EICAR test file (I have two more, but they are zipped, and compressed file scanning is off)

Virus Detection:

I would expect all AV products to find the EICAR test file.............so I loaded a couple of live ones:

TrojanHorse Fakesvc.C
    TrojanHorse Startpage.B

It did not find either of these, although it had previously detected a .txt version of the startpage trojan as "Trojan.Startpage.57344". As I reported earlier, it did not find the executable? I have downloaded and read the manual. It appears to be configured correctly, and if it is not, I consider it to be a very dangerous product as there is no way that an inexperienced user would spot it.

AVG, running signature files dated 10th November found all four and the two compressed EICAR files.

At this point I cannot recommend paying for an AV product when you can get a free one that performs better?

I still need to test it on another machine & OS

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    [B

Virus Detection:

I would expect all AV products to find the EICAR test file.............so I loaded a couple of live ones:

TrojanHorse Fakesvc.C
    TrojanHorse Startpage.B

It did not find either of these, although it had previously detected a .txt version of the startpage trojan as "Trojan.Startpage.57344". As I reported earlier, it did not find the executable? I have downloaded and read the manual. It appears to be configured correctly, and if it is not, I consider it to be a very dangerous product as there is no way that an inexperienced user would spot it.

[/B]
    Hi nihil
    As usual I appreciate your efforst and hard work in testing this out...as I do all the members that have contributed to this post......I have sent a email with your findings back to their support to see what kind of response I will get....Also I downloaded a Trojan Simulator...Virus Chaser did not detect it in memory!....interesting to say the least...however my trojan scanner did!!! I have sent a detailed report back to them also on this matter. One point for sure....this software is for advanced users........ please keep me posted and thanks again