Thread: searching for files remotely

Lightbulb searching for files remotely

is there any way to get a list of files ,on a server, remotely?

it's depending on the kind of server and OS i think...
    and wether you want to list or do search for a specific file
    and the kind of administration (tool) you would like to use
    Industry Kills Music.

Elite Hacker
    Yes, if you are the admin on an XP machine. All you would have to do is connect to the C$ share from another computer, then go to the search thing and specify C$ as the place to search and do a *.* for the search. Then you will get every file on that machine. I haven't tried this so I don't know if it works. It is kindof wierd because that would be a ton of files. You could just find a machine with an ftp server and browse all the directories to see what files it has, that way there will be less files and it wouldn't be illegal. The first suggestion is illegal if it is not your machine.

Going off of H3r3tic's point....
    As long as you're the administrator on Windows 2000/XP, you can do a:
    //computername/C$
    And get the list of files just as if you were on your own C: drive.

A good side note, is that you should always turn off file sharing for this reason, if someone were to guess your administrator password, and you weren't protected by a proxy or firewall, they could read/write/modify (this translates into DELETE) some of your files.

/edit
    Just as another side-note, it doesn't even have to be a network shared drive either...Any drive that is attached to the computer of choice is accessible (ie, your floppy, CD drive, DVD drive etc.) However, you MUST be the admin
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

it should be \\computername or ipaddress\c$, just type it on the address bar of your "my computer" or windows explorer.

depends if the remote server's local drive is shared and access to it requires a previledged password. works on win OS's.

if you can ping a remote server's IP adress and if it's shared you can browse into it, there may be some instances where-in you can ping the server's IP but the explorer will not return any thing, issues like this can be resolved in access by domain, you can ask the remote server's administrator to give you access to certain drives and add you to it's "allowed users"

Depending on the circumstances, you don't even need to be administrator. In NT for example all you need is to be a member of a workgroup that has access rights. This may give you read only, write, change or delete rights.

I don't quite see what the original question is about.

Is it "how do I prevent", "how do I restrict", "how do I permit", or "how do I print a list"?

With Win9x, simply having access rights should let you look at everything, as the default authority is administrator.

I have actually not tried it in 2k/XP, but in the early days Explorer did not give you the option to print a list, which left you will the pain of doing screen prints. Well I never found one anyway The solution was to use the search facility in Outlook.

Hope this helps

thx for all the responses guys...