Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISP Logs

ISP Logs

Do ISPs log the phone # from which an account was accessed?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Why? What have you done wrong??????
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just Another Geek
    They can (and probably do) if your line is CLID (Caller Line ID) enabled.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    Seven Bleach

They do every single time a phone number dials up to a server it is logged and they have carnivore installed and anything you did set off a red flag on the system(if you want a more extensive explination on how carnivore works PM me so i can sit down to write it up). And in that case they would cross reference the phone number with username and well ur fscked :|

Ems
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Nothing wrong I'm just curious.. how anonymous can you really be? It seems that it would be so easy to track anyone. I used to think that having unlimited long distance and using someone's PW that was RAS'd across the country would do the trick (this is all theoretical seriously, just ideas I'm playing with). But it seems that it would not.... oh wait but *67.... anyone? Please don't bother if you want to flame I'm just seriously curious about this stuff. Thank You all.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    dont worry i dont think there will be a flame out of this thread...atleast i hope people would know betterthan to judge b4 getting to know a person ....anyways since u seem interested as others have too...i will write up a faq on it and post it in the tutorials section...will send ya a link by pm

Cheers,
    Ems
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Thanks so much!

If you want anonymity in your dial-ups, you pretty much have to break the law, or dial-up from a pay phone (using coins or a cash-purchaced phone card, where there are no security cameras, and getting your business done in a short period of time). Really, beige-boxing seems easier.

*67, will block the caller id to the isp.. but the isp can always work with the phone company to trace you.. and I bet you have to do something pretty bad in order for that to all go down.

what do you have up your sleeve, SevenBleach ? come on.. it must be more than curiosity

Even then, the ISP is going to know what user id and pass were used... from that they can find out who dialed in, look at the billing info and get your phone number there.
    that's true in most cases in where you pay for an isp, but using multiple free isp accounts from the likes of NOT0 or JUNKO (netzero, juno) and never having given out any true info, there isn't going to be anything useful to trace. Plus, there are what's called "registration duns" used by multiple people concurrently all over the US.. I have no idea about what goes on in other countries.