Thread: Slow Processor -- How do I speed it up?

help

i need help making my comp faster i have 512 ram 60 gig 1ghz

Ohh Lord....

I see you are intelligent enough to post a topic. Now lets see if you can search the forum.
    Tachyon

|-----|Alcohol is my anti-drug |-----|

You can make it physically faster by overclocking it, but you can also defrag your HD, clean up your registry (if Windows) etc. You can buy more RAM but I think that wouldn't be very useful in your case as you already have 512MB...

*NOTE* removing windows and installing linux also makes you box faster...;D
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

A little more info would of been useful, like;
    - What O/S are you using (I.E. if Win98se or WinME adding RAM wouldn't be helpfull)
    - What type of processor (AMD, Pentium, Celeron)
    - What Motherboard you have (if you know)

Otherwise, el-half had a few good suggestions - clean up registry, run Disk Defrag...

Also, make sure you don't have CTFMON running (do a ctrl-alt-del if you see it in taskmonitor then end-task it)...

You can download and run a malware/add-bot remover tool to remove anything of that sort that could be slowing it down... (Something like Spybot S&D just to name one)...

As a few suggestions,

RRP

there was already a post on the main page about this....

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=250828
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

posted in the tutorial section ? where's the tut.. ?

and "help" as a topic title is very descriptive.. NOT..

I'd say take a visit to http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/
    But, if you post crap there, they'll run you out of town.

good luck

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Thread moved from Tutorials to Hardware. Changed Title from "Help!" to "Slow Processor -- How do I speed it up?"

(For a minute there I thought it was a cry for Beatles songs)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    (For a minute there I thought it was a cry for Beatles songs)

As for the topic at hand, I don't necessarily agree with this:
    *NOTE* removing windows and installing linux also makes you box faster...;D
    I don't think linux is very fast. A well configured windows box can be just as fast and in many cases faster than a linux box. I have never done any overclocking, so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say something about those comments.

Right guy! sharpen up!

What makes you think that your computer is slow?...............what are you doing when it behaves like this, and what behaviour do you see.

What processor is your 1Ghz?....a Celeron, Duron, Athlon, Pentium?

As asked, the OS is important, but if you only have 512Mb RAM then that should not be a problem. If you have more, and run 9x/Me then it might be.

Are you by any chance running games when this happens?...........if so, which ones (version required)

Are you on an internet gaming session?

I think that we require a lot more information first, as I can already think of about half a dozen causes, that can all be cured, but by quite different methods?

I love puzzles, but here I really do need a few more clues

IMHO the machine that you specified should not be "slow"....I think that there is another problem like maybe the video card?..........what is that, what is the computer make and model..............

Tell us more and we can help you quicker,

Cheers

Johnno

I don't think linux is very fast. A well configured windows box can be just as fast and in many cases faster than a linux box. I have never done any overclocking, so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say something about those comments.
    I just mean, you can run Linux on much slower machines than Windows, damn, now you're telling it; my comment didn't make any sense in this case.....

When I'm friends' houses they often have this super slow computers just because they have like 20 things opened by default in the taskbar(msn, yahoo, kazaa,...).
    A friend of me has a 900MHZ (Intel Pentium III I think) box and it runs 10 times slower than my 485MHZ box.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com