Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Exchange 2003 VS. Lotus Domino

Question Microsoft Exchange 2003 VS. Lotus Domino

I am looking for some hard data comparison between Microsoft Exchange 2003 and Lotus Domino. I am especially interested in security data. And also information on addressing any shortcomings in the security of either package. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
    Check out the Big Brain on Brad!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I would take a look at a discussion forum (not here) that discusses Domino. From my experience, it is the anti-Christ but I have not worked with a version newer than 5.0 back in 1999. I find that Exchange is the lesser of two evils if I had to compare the two.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

For crissake, do your own research yourself! We're not being paid to do your job!

I am doing my own research. This website is a forum for discussion on many security issues, and thus brings together a variety of people and ideas, which may be helpful in my research. If you don't have anything to contribute, then thanks for reading.
    Check out the Big Brain on Brad!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Inferon: Part of research is asking questions and looking for people with first hand experience so you can cut through the sales crap.......

Dunno about you but what ead seems to be doing is just that......... It's called "due diligence" in the adult world......

So chill, be quite and read the responses - you might learn something - and we won't have to suffer your little tantrums.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

ead- Exchange and Notes are really two different beasts that both provide email access. What I mean by this is that Notes is really more of a document repository. Atleast at most of the companies that I have done email work in, that is the main way it was being used. Exchange is more of an email system than notes is.

If you are looking to do a lot of custom work flow applications, Notes is probably the way to go as their programming language is much more advanced than what you can do with custom forms and VB in exchange. However, if you are really good with VB, you can always write your own client software to hook into exchange and bypass outlook.

As for security, the security in Exchange2k3 is much much higher than it was in in 2k. For instance top level folder creation is turned off by default, mail relaying is turned off by default, and several other major enhancements. However, this lock down in security means that protocols such as OWA are more difficult to install as you have to turn things on, instead of them already being on. As I know how to use exchange very well I think these enhancements are a great thing. However they make the application much harder to use to newbs. Here is a white paper about the security enhancements in Exchange2k3.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/ev...urity_e2k3.asp

I haven't worked with notes that much from a security standpoint so I can't really be of much assistance with that app. Exchange is my bread and butter though.

Just Another Geek
    I'd go for Lotus Notes. Not that I don't like Exchange but the Outlook client is just too dangerous these days. The Notes client has way more security features, you can disable allmost everything. You can enforce this from the server.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    SirDice, what version of Notes are you running? They must have made sweeping changes since I last saw Notes. I remember it being quite a POS but like I mentioned, I haven't used it since version 5.

Thanks!

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I liked version 5. It was the Groupware aspects that was spectacular. I think products like Infopath and sharepoint are the only solution to this. I am still not impressed with Exchange 2003.
    -Producer

Just Another Geek
    TH13: We're using R5 here and are quite happy with it. But then again we also have some great Notes admins
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.