Thread: Wep

Wep

Ive been trying to configure WEP on my wireless network for weeks. Connectivity between my access point and the router(speedstream) is a green light. When I enter config mode on the router and setup WEP with a passphrase,then generate keys, 64 bit encypt,automatic.
    SAVE those settings

Then I go to my access point and check a box that says "key is given to me automatically".
    But in my system tray there is a icon of 2 comps and it tells me to enter passphrase and connect to existing network. It then says that my passphrase needs to be 5 or 10 ASCII characters. But the passphrase on the router is 8? So I change them so they match and still no connectivity, when i say no connectivity i mean if the router is sending out WEP signals and my comp isnt set up right i get no internet. Im on cable. BUT NO CONNECTION, so if anybody could help me I would appreciate it to the upmost. Im running Windows XP, When im on the access point im in "Network Connections". Then I right click on properties and thats where config key is set to auto , 64bit,etc. Ive tried restarting the router, Ive got headache?:><:
    A+ Certified

The Iceman Cometh
    Instead of getting the key automatically, set up your wireles network card with the WEP key manually. Should resolve your problem. Generally, the only way you're gonna get a key automatically is if you use some other sort of authentication to authenticate with the AP to ensure you're system is allowed access to the AP. Hope that makes sense. I'm tired.

AJ

Do you have a Firewall running or any MAC Address Filters on?
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

I have found that "pass phrase" does not mean the same thing to all vendors. As an example, Lynksys equipment allows you to key in a phase made up of letter and numbers. It then converts that phrase to 4 sets of 10 HEX characters with the first set of 10 being used as the default key. To enter the WEP key into a wireless device that is NOT Linksys you need to enter the 10 HEX characters that were generated from the pass phrase.

Hope this helps.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

You need to get the actual HEX wep key from the router config (as per mmelby post) and enter that manually as your WEP key on the client, this is basically your 'password' to associate wtih the AP, the keys are not distributed automatically unless you have some sort of secure key distribution set up.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

I know hex, but how would I get hex from a pass phrase?? I cant see that

But I think i know where to start, u gave me about 2 days of info to work with?

Ill post then
    A+ Certified

Pesonally i had the same problem just recently with my Wireless. What i have done to correct the problem was to just stop the stupid Speedstrem service the little green computer in the system try from starting up automatically and just configure it manually specifying the keys and that has seemed to work really well. SPEEDSTREAM

I know of that little green computer u speak of. Ill stop that and see what happens. What do u think that the little green comp has to do with misconfiguration?

ohhhhhhhhhhhh, Sorry u guys for my ignorance, I came back and have reread ur replys and let me say I fell stupid. Tell me if this is right. Instead of using the passphrase use the HEX that is generated by the passphrase????
    A+ Certified

You know what i dont know what the whole thing with that little green computer is but it seems to want to go ahead and do its on thing on my Card. Dont know wich one u have but mine has the Gold ends on it. If you go Speedstreams site there are 2 diffrent drivers for the same card. But let me know how its gone so far if you have had any luck????
    I ROOTED YOUR GIRLFRIENDS BOX AND DIDNT EVEN USE A TROJAN