Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biometric Mouse

Banned
    LOL No comment.
    this long one of mine, is a word, but then caracters and numbers are intergrated with in it, making it verry long..

Nightfalls_Girl

My concern with the biometric fingerprint authentication technology, follows the thoughts disc0rd posted earlier. Additionally though, if your password is compromised you can change it. If your fingerprints are compromised what can you change them to?

IMO the fingerprint mouse would be a valuable control in a layered authentication scheme, but not as a single point of access control.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Ms. Mittens-
    A friend of mine's company, actually uses the internal chip technology. They inject it into your forearm, and then there is a scanner that reads the ID of the chip in order to even let you in the door. Talk about big brother...

But if they paid me like they're payin him...hell, INJECT AWAY!
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

Banned
    Personially I see noting wrong with that. Pending on what you work for that is.
    If you worked for say, The government than I think that thay have every wright to use that kind of technology.

Nightfalls_Girl

I don't see anything wrong with it either...Like I said, pay me enough, and I'll sport some nice breast implants for authentification LOL

(and you may ask yourself...what would he do for a klondike bar?)

Banned
    Yet again, I also see noting wrong with chiping there imediate families, children, wives, husbands.
    if you work for the government.
    tho the chips would have to be untracerbal, and undetectable to every one else...
    and children thay would have to be done when thay were babies.

Nightfalls_Girl

Originally posted here by disc0rd
    Ms. Mittens-
    A friend of mine's company, actually uses the internal chip technology. They inject it into your forearm, and then there is a scanner that reads the ID of the chip in order to even let you in the door. Talk about big brother...

My security nerd days would be over. I would have to give up the biz if implants and other modifications became
    a typical requirement or the norm. I can just imagine sys admins getting their fore-arm's chopped off or some such
    evil yuckiness to log into a stupid server. There would be no point in the 1960's-style she-spy getting you
    into bed to confess your root password (still waiting for this to happen by the way...), which is still at least a remote possibility.
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

In reply to OverdueSpy's post:
    if your password is compromised you can change it. If your fingerprints are compromised what can you change them to?
    the whole point of the biometric system, is that it shouldnt be able to be compromised. ie, retina scanners etc. its designed that you and only you can posses the 'key'. however, with software passwords, they can be seen and remembered, trojans can log key strokes. there are many ways it can be compromised.

but as with most things, all it takes is time, and soon enough biometrics wont be any more secure than todays messures.

9/10 cases, an open safe is more secure than a locked safe. why? because an open safe doesnt present any challenge and ppl would assume it is empty. however a locked safe is quite the opposite!

http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249524

Originally posted here by spurious_inode

There would be no point in the 1960's-style she-spy getting you
    into bed to confess your root password (still waiting for this to happen by the way...), which is still at least a remote possibility.
    Nerds everywhere would be crushed if that fantasy were taken away....

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by disc0rd
    Ms. Mittens-

Just because you don't object doesn't mean that others won't. Different countries have different laws in regards to privacy (in fact, IIRC, the USA doesn't have any privacy laws -- and given the current climate would be unlikely to get it).

But what prevents someone from changing their chip id to read as someone else's? There is always that risk.

What is more important is that we realize that there is always a chance of something not working the way we'd want it to work and that someone, somewhere is bound to figure out how to get it to work in ways not envisioned. To depend on one technology to be our security saviour isn't the best of methods. Your friend probably also has visual ID by a security guard as well as passcard or other options.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage