Thread: McAfee users Read!

Angry McAfee users Read!

We use McAfee Enterprise 7.1 (the latest product) here at my job and I found something rather disturbing the other day. If you use this product, you'll know that you can set a password so that no files/settings can be changed, and the on-access scan can't be disabled. You would think they would test products for potential flaws, especially something this simple. The On-Access scan has an Icon in the taskbar, a little shield. If you just double click that icon, the statistics box will appear. Heres the great part, the Disable button for the On-Access scan is not greyed out for 3 seconds on any computer, allowing you to click it.... tested up to a p4. You can disable, enable, and disable the On-Access scan before the option fades out. Even if the computer has been on for hours, this still works. You can do this EVERY time the computer is rebooted. I see this as a serious hole, as any idiot with a mouse can disable the vscan in seconds. So I called McAfee. They told me I would have to write out a letter justifying a "Feature Modifacation". Even better, they said it wouldn't be fixed untill the next release of the program!!!

Basically I'm just saying what I've always heard anyway, DONT USE MCAFEE
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    ya i noticed that too and i was also worried but, im a home user so hopefully no one will want to disable my AV! thanx for the heads up though.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I will be sure not to install McAfee on my Linux system.

That is the worst thing about antivirus software and the other worse thing is software that informs users to turn off their AV for installation. I feel the perfect AV software would run invisible in the background and only pop up if there is an issue.

Hrmm, interesting. Like Info Tech said, that's the drawback to AV software. Sadly, you have to live with it kinda (the fact that anyone can turn it off) unless you decide not to run it all the time and only do periodical scan's. I scan my network once a day for virii (or corrupted files, spyware, etc) to make sure everything's good.
    Space For Rent.. =]

yeah, but what really made me mad is thats the reason this software was chosen. They market it saying it is protected and can't be disabled by a common user. Granted you can always close av software if your willing, but a click of a mouse is rediculous. I feel we should get our money back for the faulty software. Our entire network is more at risk now because their software does not function as stated. The fact that they are unwilling to address this big of an issue untill the next release (and that's only a maybe) makes me wonder where the hell all the money goes that we pay for licenses every year!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Well to answer your question... the money goes into the checkbooks of the leaders of McAfee, just like most of the money that exists in the world today. Sorry to inform you of this but if you are that naive then better that I burst your bubble then some corporate type when your livelihood hangs in the balance and you and your family suffer.

Never believe anyone who is trying to sell you something. Especially if it is family or friends.

peace.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I think that the wost thing about it is that feature USED to work...............I can remember having version 4 in an NT environment a few years back, and users couldn't switch it off, infact it couldn't even switch itself off locally to update the pattern files!............the Admins did this centrally.

So people who have used earlier versions will be lulled into a false sense of security?

Well, disabling the tray icon when you do the setup could really improve workstation security

Maybe it's just me but I tried it like you said (I also have version 7.1) and it doesn't doe that on my pc ...I also tried it at work on some pc's (WinXp and W2k) and they too could'nt reproduce the thing you discribe.

But again it could be me
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

and i thought that only made [pong]win 98[/pong] break down...