Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pay us or we'll DDoS you!

I do contract work for a major ISP and you would be amazed at how many DDoS attacks happen on a regular basis....yes, they are traceable, but it can be very time consuming depending on the level of knowledge that the twit has. Fro the most part, the attacks that I've backtraced have been out of places like Bolivia, Russia, Taiwan and are not really feasable to pursue, so they end up getting away with it. We just take the hit on our routers and they eventually go away.

I see lots of dos attacks, however the big firewalls out today (CP AI and PIX that I work with) can handle them with minor traffic loss. I can trace them in a few minutes and usually kill the BGP route from the offending black hole, or foreign IP.

I have never personally seen a successfull DOS attack unless its a zombie virus. Those situations are usually fixed with reverse poison DNS (takes a few hours). The Zombie Dos attacks I have seen are IP. Even if it was DNS, I could solve that too.
    -Producer

BANNED
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Post Its Ugly

Im the owner of an Hosting Provider in Costa Rica, and for that reason we have quite a few clients in the gambling business, we have been experiencing awful DOS attacks from hundreds of Zombies all over europe and the US, we have invested in serious hardware like the WatchGuard V100 (20+ K) and secondary internet pipes to survive these attacks, they are getting more and more sophisticated, now the totally use spoofed packets on port 80 so its really difficult to solve and track unless the source computer is making > 100 connections per second, we have upgraded pipes into Fiber Optic but reality is ... unless we have a burstable 1GB connection there is no way to kill the attacks ...
    Our clients constantly receive ransom notes from Russia asking for 30K to on western union to stop the attacks ... just sucks ...
    i been trying to get access to one of these infected computers to infect a computer of mine with this backdoor and see where its reporting to ... im sure it reports to an irc chat room server and im sure i can take it from there however isps do not help ... this is a battle that will spread over and over ... UGLY