Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Distribution choice help

Linux Distribution choice help

hey im setting up a network to run on Linux, but im not sure which distribution would be best for that. Also can you plz tell me where i could get a good linux distribution?????
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

DjM

Go here and pick any one you want: www.distrowatch.com Pretty much, every linux version is the same. If you are new to Linux, get either Mandrake or Redhat. And if you get redhat, get the Red Hat Bible to go with it. Other than that, find one that you like.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

This all looks familiar lol. Go to the site they recomended for me.. it's really helpful in my opinion. www.linuxiso.org

For personal experience i'll recommend SuSe, its a the best linux distro that you could find very user friendly

How about Gentoo (http://gentoo.org) or Slackware (http://slackware.com). Both are free, and pretty powerfull. Gentoo is a pain to get setup where everything is working perfect, but once it is then you will have a very nice box. Slackware is what a bunch of my friends prefer, as well as FreeBSD (http://freebsd.org). I believe that they all support 64 bit CPU's. I love the portage feature in Gentoo that allows you to download/upgrade a program and all the dependencies by simply typing "emerge command". You can also update ALL packages up to date on your box by typing "emerge -u world".

To sum it all up and put in a nutshell(opinion)

FreeBSD - Server

Slackware - If you're into console command typing! when it works, it works!

RedHat - For your mom and her mom

SuSE - For everyone who wants an easy install and to migrate from wintendo. everything works perfect, but you have to be careful sometimes

Gentoo - It takes a bit of nerves to setup

Mandrake - Userfriendly install, userenemy tweaking. no HW support!?

I use SuSE! Has everything I need. Will setup a server with FreeBSD for my own use.

Check http://www.linuxiso.org

I would recommend SuSE, both for the distro itself and its availability. Best Buy has the box set, so do most bookstores. I always prefer to get the box set, just to eliminate the download hassles and problems that can occur with burned CD's. Also, you get a manual that can help you if you get stuck.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Well I use RedHat for now, but since they are discontinuing the RedHat Linux distro [continuing the Enterprise and now a new project called Fedora] I guess I will migrate aswell to something else. Was pretty much thinking of doing it all from scratch, but given I've only had lin for a few months now... I'll prolly switch to one of the wellk-nown distro's.
    /\\

I feel that one more suggestion needs to be made, this is an idea that is usually overlooked. With any luck you'll have some friends who also use Linux. Use the same distro they do, as long as they're happy with it. That way, when SuSE (or RH, Mandrake, Slackware, Gentoo, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, whatever...) has a problem or something, you'll have a local source of help. Your friends may have encountered the same problem and will be able to give you more personalized and accurate help due to a greater understanding of your skills and your setup. It's worth a shot. AO is a great resource, along with the rest of the internet, but replies aren't always immediate, and none of use can just hop on your computer and try to fix things.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Okay to edit my post: The intial setups are all differant, but you can basically do the same thing with every version.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-