Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Ip

Get Ip

How would I go about getting the IP of a person on my network? It's a small peer-to-peer network, and all the workgroups use netbeui, except this particular computer. Now if I wanted to find that computer's IP address, what would I have to do? Thanks in advance.

Wink

If you dont got a firewall installed just go to ipchicken.com
    EHU

Well that depends on a couple things. What type of Network. Do you guys use a router?

What you plan on using it for?

I can't think of anything. That I would need it for at work unless I was doing, something I wasn't suppose to be doing. Though no offfense I doubt it is that considering you don't know how to get an IP on your own Network.

I pray your not the System Admin for that place. If you are.

/me just shakes his head.

The easiest way, just go over to the Computer that you want the IP for, and in the Command prompt type Ipconfig.

Though what you get, and how useful it is, is going to depend on your Network settings.

EHU please do me one favor, and explain to me why having a firewall would have anything to do with, (what ever that site that you posted) being able to get this guys IP

Now I will say that I am always open to be proven wrong but ugh...

Why the hell would it stop it?

Maybe there is something with my firewall that makes it so that it doesn't hide my IP.

EHU when you go to that site you are connecting to them so therefor they log your IP the script that there usin probably only mimics there logs and shows you what there Logs. Show. That is how most of those sites that have that work...

But like I said I never have a problem with being wrong.

I believe you learn something new everyday. This might just be a lesson for me.

Please explain.

Just Another Geek
    You stated that everybody uses NetBEUI. Why do you want to find someone's IP? These are 2 very different protocols. An IP address is only used with the TCP/IP protocol.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I don't think you can even use Netbeui with a router...that protocol isn't routable.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by disc0rd
    I don't think you can even use Netbeui with a router...that protocol isn't routable.
    You are correct. Kyuss never said there was a router.

Kyuss: What do you think it will tell you when you find the IP address?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    Well that depends on a couple things. What type of Network. Do you guys use a router?
    I was just referring to this post before...

Just addin my 2 cents
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

I was just screwin' around last night, trying to send this guy a little message with 'net send', but his computer isn't in network neighborhood, so I wanted to find out his IP so I could do it.
    That's all. But I just realized that I gotta crack open a networking book!
    Thanks for all the replies, and hopefully you guys can help me out some more. And yes, there is a router involved.

Use

Net send username "Message"

Note : This may have been disabled by your administrator.

if u can use and ms dos window...go and do netstat it should display all connections on your network
    [shadow]NorthernLytes[/shadow]
    NorthernLytes Raves [glowpurple]Go to my website! u wont be sorry![/glowpurple]