Thread: Fun Corner: Deleting with style!

Fun Corner: Deleting with style!

Hey,

This is the second tutorial I ever wrote. I wrote it about 4 months ago.

I tested this on one of my home computers and a number of my friend's computers, so there shouldn't be any problems.

I would say this is a slightly-newbie tutorial, as it assumes minimal knowledge about the windows registry.
    -----------------------
    RENAME YOUR RECYCLE BIN
    [I think this only applies to Win9x]

This is going to seem really stupid, but Microsoft doesn't let you rename your recycle bin. I don't use it anyway. It's easier to just hold shift while clicking "Delete" under Win9x.

I take no responsibility for you messing with the wrong keys in the windows registry and screwing up your windows installation.

First, fire up good 'ol regedit by going to Start, then Run, then type regedit and hit enter.

Look in the pane on the left hand side. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Ditto for CLSID.

Now look for a folder starting with "645FF" and click the plus sign next to it. After that, click the actual name ShellFolder so a bunch of crap piles up in the right hand side.

Focus your attention to the right hand side.

Change the value of "Attributes" to read:
    50 01 00 20

If I remember right, you should only have to change the 4 to a 5.

Hit F5 to refresh the registry. Then exit it. Attempt to rename your Recycle Bin. If it doesn't work, then try rebooting. If it still doesn't work....then I dunno what to do.

Congrats.
    ------------------------------------------------------

What do yall think?

Have fun,
    Ben
    There are sports cars. Then there\'s the Z.
    240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX 350Z

Datsun 260Z!!!

I don't think that you would find one of those over here in Europe these days........I think they all rotted or drove into the North Sea like a herd of Lemmings?

I say old chap...........aren't you showing your age a little bit

Cheers

EDIT: I just remembered this guy Neil that I knew.............he had a 260Z......and a Walther PPK in .22LR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Well?

The tutorial forum shouldn't be cluttered with the likes of something that is a sidenote if anything...and if you are ever posting a *regedit* tutorial related piece of info, you could recommend backing it up instead of saying 'if you screw it up, your fault, not mine!'

Star****ers|Inc

I remember Datsun 260Z , it drove like a tank and it was a rust bucket !

Dr_EVIL

I've found that large quanities of yeast discarded after homebrewing can be poured down the sink to eat away at the gunk in the pipes overnight. Natural Draino perhaps.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

What's with this? Instead of responding to the post in a constructive way (like "Star****ers|Inc" did), (at least now I know not to post something like this again) you make a wisecrack about my username and talk about cleaning drain pipes?

I thought this place was different.....
    There are sports cars. Then there\'s the Z.
    240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX 350Z