Thread: NT 4 Commands help

NT 4 Commands help

quick question: I need the NT 4 commands to map a network drive, and send a file to a network printer. Its for an tedious series of tasks I need to automate with a batch file, I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

to connect to a network drive

net use x: \\computername\sharename

add the /persistant flag to make it "permanent"... meaning it will still be there after reboot
    x can be replace by any drive letter available

to delete that drive mapping

net use x: /delete

to print (not sure if it works or not, never used it)

net print

use

net use /?
    net print /?

for all the options

type

net

for all the net commands
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Elite Hacker
    Just a minor correction, it has to be net use x: instead of net use x. I just tested it and x didn't work but x: did. Same goes for deleting it. Peace

edit
    I was looking at the output for net print /? and I don't think you can send a file to the printer from the command line, at least not with what it gives you from the /? command.
    You may want to look into the lpr command: lpr /?
    I just tried it and apparently the printer or server or whatever has to be running the ldp service, whatever that is. I'm still searching though, so I could find your solution.
    You may want to look into this program: http://home.swipnet.se/~w-62144/prfile/descr.htm
    It looks to be able to print to a network printer from the command line. Good luck.

h3r3tic: thanks for the correction.

I wasn't sure about the net print command as I've never used it. I don't have a network printer right here to test it on. I should have said that when I posted.

Either way, thanks for the correction. I typed that out so quickly and I didn't test it...

Misinformation is one of the things I hate most... and thats exaclty what I did.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Elite Hacker
    I just made a file called help.rtf then I did this command at the command prompt:
    print /D:\\server\printer c:\path\to\file\help.rtf
    and it printed only it didn't print it correct, that is probably because of the type of file or encoding. You can fool around with that for a while.

edit
    it worked just fine if I saved the file as help and selected "Text Document - MS-DOS Format" for the file format.

thank you both very much for your help, I will monkey around with these commands until I get the system to work. thanks again.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)