Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh btw, would stuff like this be legal?

Oh btw, would stuff like this be legal?

Someone told me about a software/program that you can install on your computer that when it DOES detect unauthorised access will send something back to the offending IP resultnig in the hard drive being wiped (I'm assuming we're probably talking some simple code running an f-disk on the offfending PC...)

Anyone heard of this and does it work and more importantly is it legal?

Tinks

That kinda goes along with the scenario here in the US...

-Burglar invades your house, and you catch him stealing, shoot him, and he gets taken off by the cops.

-The burglar comes back and sues you, and wins....

Only in America!...I don't know about England though :P

Just my 2 cents
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

disc0rd something that you learn when you get your consealed weapon permit is to always kill someone instead of wounding that person because if he needs special medical atention youll have to pay.

SEEK AND DESTROY ! ! ! ! ! !

Haha, very true...sad but true Graphictron
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

if you kill someone in self defense you don't go to jail because it was self defense. If you shot someone and that person is not able to walk anymore you have to pay for all of his treathment. Don't you see something wrong with this picture ? ? ?
    and as this thread , ive never seen one of those programs or know of some one that had been afected by them. But i read in IRC and other chat rooms L33t-H4x0rs saying that they do that, someof them call them Bouncers and other weird names. Maybe they are a urban legend of L33t H4X0rs.

Plz correctme if im wrong

LOL in England there was an infamous case where a farmer sot and killed one burglar (think he was under 18 actually) and wounded the other who later tried to sue him as he couldn't work (he eventually dropped his claim as it was condemned by the public saying that if during this time he could still commit crime and indeed get jailed for it then he could bl**dy well work too! The farmer was jailed for shooting at the lads and got released earlier this year. But the counrty is very split as I think poeple think it's fair to defend your property, but in all fairness the lad that was killed DID get shot in the back....

Anyway I digress again...

As for the program I know of people running it, but none that I'd trust enough to ask for a copy and I have to say being of the pursuasion that anyone stepping uninvited into my house should be shot or tortured (the cats would see to that) then I'd feel NO shame in running one fo these programs if a) they were safe and b) they are legal (ish)

Tinks

It would probably be pretty damned funny to zap someone's box after they just attempted an attack on you. I am
    reminded of a neat anti-car theft device I saw at a general security show. Basically, the device shocked the _HELL_
    out of car thieves, not enough to kill, but certainly enough to singe hair and leave an electricity taste in their mouth.
    Ultimately this device never got approval because the chances of it doing that to an innocent kid or someone who
    inadvertently touched your car the wrong way were too high. Same goes with these kinds of retaliations on the
    I.P. that *attacks* you, more often than not the poor bastard has been hacked her/himself and the attacker is
    using the compromised box to attack you.

If it were only that simple.... muuuuhahahahahaah

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

I can't find the post but it was covered in here recently.

It was all a big joke.

I did however write a program which opens 2 sequential ports on your computer and if a port scan is detected it sends a few packets to the person scanning the ip address with the message "I'm watching you."

Usually enough to make them stop.

Dead Man Walking
    Please allow me to complicate instead of simplify. Anybody ever hear of IP spoofing? Or what about worms like those that assist in DDOS attacks? How do you know the person who owns the PC you are about to fry is really the person behind the "attack". This has been covered here a few times and im supprised nobody else piped up with this point.

Good one zombie man.

I did think of it but my proggie only sends a few packets back to the scanner ip and doesn't do it any harm. Just enough to get the persons attention.

It is a damn fine point for the original post as most e-mail virii now do spoof the senders e-mail address and even the ones that don't are usually the virii sending themselves so if your pc detected this and retaliated the poor buggers would just end up attacked 2 fold.