Thread: help booting KNOPPIX

help booting KNOPPIX

Hey i just burned KNOPPIX and im trying to boot up, when its booting it says kernel panic and some other stuff then it just freezes up. sorry i cant be more specific, but im at school now and my teacher got mad when i pulled out the cd. does anyone know whats going wrong? please give me some advice.
    ammon

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which Knoppix did you burn?

What type of machine did you try to run it on?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'm just guessing here, but I would suspect your download was corrupted in some way...did you verify the integrity of the iso before you burned it?

You probably already have this link, but I'll throw it in here for you anyway..

http://www.knoppix.net/

Any question you can possibly ask will be answered in the faq's or elsewhere...

PS: I had the same problem first time I tried with Knoppix also And that was after not burning the iso as an image....DOH!

Elite Hacker
    Groovicus, if you don't burn the iso as an image you won't even get a kernel panic, it won't boot at all. I have always had trouble burning iso images to cd-r's. It seems like my computer just can't do it correctly. It may be better for you to just go to www.linuxcd.org and order one. It should be anywhere from $4-9 including shipping. I did that for RH9 and it works pretty well, I have installed it numerous times successfully. I have probably wasted about 100 cd-r's trying to burn my iso files, sometimes it is cheaper to just order from a website.
    Cheers

Right, I meant the first time I tried to burn the iso, I did it wrong. Then I figured out how to do it the right way, then discovered my iso was fuxored....I could go on and on about how much fun I'm having trying to get a working *nix system going (which has included totally obliterating my hard drive)...but hey, I'm learning disaster recovery, data backup, a little unix, so it's all good!!!

EDIT: I haven't wasted too many disks..but I have learned to swear in four languages..

Elite Hacker
    LOL groov, I did the same thing with the first iso I ever burned. I guess that everyone has problems starting out. I'm still gonna say that your best bet is to order from www.linuxcd.org
    I think they have a deal with like 10 distros for $40 or something. Maybe when I'm out on my own with my own machines I'll get that. Then I will try a tetrahederal boot or something like that(just made up the word tetrahederal). Check out linuxcd.org, I'm sure you have 10 bucks in your wallet as you make this thread.

If you use Ahead Nero it is really simple. Just go to file --> burn Image. What are you using to burn and what platform are you on.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-