Thread: Cracking the Hacker Underground - BBC

Cracking the Hacker Underground - BBC

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

one bloody good reason to never reveal what you do if you are a hacker/cracker/SK... whatever you want to call 'em.... always deny everything
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ok. One question I'd be asking: exactly what are they defining as the "hacker underground"? Let's be real here. Script kiddie lingo doesn't readily identify all attackers/hackers. Besides which that it tends to be lame. I suspect they may find the more boastful "attackers" via this method of watching newsgroups, forums, mailing lists, etc. but there is that very quiet bunch that you won't find easily.

By announcing this, they have just made people want to shut their mouths and go deeper into silence..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

i just wonder when will media really realize the real meaning of a 'hacker'
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    It wasn't the media that called them hackers. It was a computer security firm. The meaning of hacker has changed over the years. If you said hacker 20 years ago, it would have absoutely nothing to do with computers, it would be someone that played practical jokes. So the term hacker is correct.

But I agree with MsM. By using k3wl and 4 and other k-rad speak, I don't see that breaking into the hacker underground, that just lets you see the scriptkiddies, and the boastful people that are out to make a name for themself. The people that do the website defacements are not the people that you really need to worry about.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Hacker is actually older than 20 years ago. It dates back to the 14th century and, IIRC, originally meant someone who cut trees down. (Hacked them)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Hacker is actually older than 20 years ago. It dates back to the 14th century and, IIRC, originally meant someone who cut trees down. (Hacked them)
    All together now......

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    I sleep all night and I work all day
    (He's a lumberjack and he's OK
    He sleeps all night and he works all day)

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
    I go to the lavat'ry
    On Wednesdays I go shopping
    And have buttered scones for tea
    (He cuts down trees...)
    (He's a lumberjack...)

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
    I love to press wild flow'rs
    I put on women's clothing
    And hang around in bars
    (He cuts down trees...)
    (He's a lumberjack...)

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
    Suspenders and a bra
    I wish I'd been a girlie
    Just like my dear papa
    (He cuts down trees...)
    (He's a lumberjack...)

from Monty Python's Flying Circus
    Cheers:
    DjM

And damned proud of it!

w00t!

Banned
    Well it is only terminology, manly things go misunderstood because of it. You never know how times change, somebody will probably decide to do a programmer entitled, 'What hackers really are' you never really know I guess.

sounds like the same old rhetoric to me.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!