Start Programming In C
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Programming In C

Start Programming In C

I have just begun programming in C, and I am interested in any suggestion anyone may have concerning books and websites. Any general learning material. I am specifically interested in network security apps, chat program things, anything involving netowrking remote computers, ect ect. Is C a good language for accomplishing such things? I mean either way I'm learning C cause I understand that is the language most used in computer security and also the language of the linux kernel, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyhow any suggestions would be great. Thanks

while i'm not a programmer in any remote sense of the word itself, i've half-attempted to learn. after doing a lot of reading on the subject, however, i've learned that c is a great language to learn and an excellent foundation to build your knowledge of programming on, but the language that you start to learn with would depend a lot on what you plan on using it for. some people have told me that you should learn python before perl and other. i guess it's all a matter of what works for you.
    a good series of programming books (the company has closed it doors) was put out by wrox press. you may be able to find some of their books out there (ebay, amazon marketplace?, etc.), but they're truly exceptional when it comes to laying out the language in a manner that a normal human can understand. i used them for asp and i also have a c book from them. very cool.
    good luck on whatever you end up with.

If you are only interested in developing app's without having to know much, i would have to suggest a visit to codewarrior. Download their kneet proggie and you have somewhere to start. Also read their programming FAQ, there is a section regarding C.

I gotta give it to this guy... here's someone who knows all about it: strath. His tutorials on programming are for beginers, so it's pretty much easy to understand.

In what concerns books, ebay is always a good choise.

I've let you in on a couple sites i keep on my "don't forget" list, but if you do a google search you will find more straters for sure

well just one suggestion......if u wanna b l33t in C...dont just read the book...grab the essence...try to understand the concept throghly....and dont beileve anything until u have the output frm atleast 2 compilers....n gcc for a lin a must .... and pls do read steve summit 'C programming FAQ'.....

just my words
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Is there a visual C program for windows? Linux?

I've done a bit of programming in C++, and I'm starting to learn Java now as well. And this might not be the best way to compare them, but by lookin at the advanced stuff in the books i have for both of them, the Java books seem to describe a lot more networking capabilitys than C++. Maybe you should look into Java a bit, I know both of those languages are very similar, except Java is pretty slow compared to C++, but that doesn't really matter if you arent doing a huge project with it. I'm just a beginner myself, but thats what I know. Any other suggestions?

I will get slammed for this but I was always under the impression that Java was something only used on webpages. I know, slam me everyone lol. Anyway, it has to be C, I have to understand C but I might choose C++ if there is no visual C.

I'll reply, so you dont. Thats what I thought as well, and it is and it isn't. Javascript is for webpages, and a way to write java is in applet format or something. But you can write them so they compile as programs like it sounds like you want them.

yes definately programs. Any answers about the visual C?

you should really learn C or C++ before you start doing visual stuff. doing both would be good. the visual programming accomplishes nothing functional, apart from the visual gui. in short, the program must be written before you go making the frontend anyway.

all the meat can be carved in plain old standard C.

try http://www.digitalmars.com and check out their runtime library reference for some routines that you will probably need.

DevC++ is what you probably want as you are starting out. but i would quickly migrate to Linux and the real gcc compiler so you don't have to CreateProcess( ...... ) and WSADATA and all that.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!