Microsoft ordered to pay $62 million in patent case

Thread: Microsoft ordered to pay $62 million in patent case

Exclamation Microsoft ordered to pay $62 million in patent case

11-14) 18:53 PST CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) --

A federal jury on Friday ordered Microsoft Corp. to pay $62.3 million in damages to a subsidiary of Charlotte-based SPX Corp. in a patent infringement lawsuit over conferencing technology.

The subsidiary, Imagexpo, sued Microsoft in October 2002, alleging the software giant infringed on an Imagexpo patent through its NetMeeting Whiteboard feature.

The feature, which is on several Microsoft products, allows multiple users in separate locations to view and make notes on a common screen.

The Richmond, Va., jury determined Microsoft infringed on the Imagexpo patent and set the $62.3 million award, SPX said.

Microsoft spokeswoman Stacy Drake said her company contends the Whiteboard feature was developed independently of Imagexpo. Microsoft has not decided whether to appeal, she said.

NetMeeting is being phased out as Microsoft focuses on its new Live Meeting Web conferencing service, according to Drake.

SPX Corp. makes industrial products, auto parts, and data-networking and fire-detection systems.

The announcement came after the close of regular trading on the NASDAQ stock market, where Microsoft shares fell 19 cents Friday to close at $25.50. They fell another 3 cents in after-hours trading.

SPX shares fell 47 cents Friday by the close of regular trading on the New York Stock Exchange and rose 1 cent during extended training.

Source : http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...153EST0410.DTL
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Let's see. If some teenager burns an illegal copy of windows XP, that's piracy

If Microsoft steals millions in technology, that's just "the way the game is played"
    If they refuse to honor other people's "intellectual property", it's hard to
    get up much sympathy for them if consumers rob them of every thing that isn't
    nailed down.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Developer Extraordinar
    Haha, yeah. *as he bruns his copy of Windows XP to play "the game"* Microsoft steals stuff, and dosn't want people stealing their stolen stuff. Crazy world we live in.

MB
    Come to UnError.com

Double Standards.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;