missing ws2_32.dll file win95

Thread: missing ws2_32.dll file win95

missing ws2_32.dll file win95

Have some old pc at work which has w95 on it.its mmx200 with 32mg of memory.
    i downloaded ad-aware 6 and instaled it and everythings was fine.when i clicked application to run it its says can not open file ws2_32.dll is missing.
    tried to download the file from site www.webattack but without success.
    what i am doing wrong or what i have to do?
    btw do not have original disk 95 from work its in head office but is very likely i can get it on my site if needed.
    thanks

G'day

Try the attached. It goes into c:\windows\system\

Remember to rename it from .txt to .dll

If it does not work, and it probably won't, go into <start> <control panel> <system> and post the exact build of Win95 that you have.

Cheers

BTW Early Win95 installations were very heavy on 16 bit support from the 3.1x legacy days, so it might not have been installed automatically?

There is an official Window 95 update - "Winsock 2 for windows 95" - which can be got.

Adding ws2_32.dll on its own will not work. Additionally, you should source any executable file (including DLLs) from a trusted source.

Not a reflection on nihil's good intentions, but how do you know that nihil does not have a virus that accidentally infected that DLL?

Also this post should not be in *nix security discussions as it is not Unix related.

Slarty

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **moved to Microsoft Sec forum**
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi Slarty,

You are "politically correct", as ever, Sir.

Have some old pc at work which has w95 on it.its mmx200 with 32mg of memory
    I am glad that you did not suggest that it might be an intentional virus..........I would lose all my street credibility?...........a bit like a car thief looking at a Lada

I was trying to provoke the next error message.............then I would know that it was a total Winsock omission, or just a corrupt file..................I do not think that it is as easy to find support for old stuff at Microsoft anymore.............I have certainly had that experience.

I do have loads of copies of the complete Winsock2 for 95 update on CDs, but they are too large to send over the forum (I think?)

Good to hear from you again

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    I am glad that you did not suggest that it might be an intentional virus..........I would lose all my street credibility?...........a bit like a car thief looking at a Lada
    How do you know car thieves don't love to steal Ladas? They might not outrun the cops, but they aren't going to get stopped as often... after all the officer isn't going to get much cred from his mates for bringing in a nicked Lada

Slarty

Hee Hee Slarty,

It does not matter to the police officer what car............they have a car thief...that counts as so many points "greenies" or whatever?

Like if you burgle a 3 bedroom semi-detatched house or a four bedroom detatched.........just another burglar?

Or if the bank robber has a .22 revolver or a 12 bore pump.............just another armed robber?

Cheers

Maybe we could trade our "greenies" for amnesty from parking fines?

thanks for your replllies.Will try tomorrow downloaded file.
    I would think that my antivirus would pick an infected file when i download it to my pc which is far cry from that crapy one at work lol
    if we can not trust ao seniors members on their advices and suggestions(including dowloading suggested tools) than this site defies it purpose.
    (Only my loud tought)

Cheers for your confidence mate, but Slarty is right, you do have to be careful. I had scanned it with AVG, McAfee 7.0 and Virus Chaser and its checksum hasn't changed.

I think that Slarty is also right in that you may need the complete Winsock 2 for Win95. I am not sure how easy that is to find, given that MS have not been supporting Win95 for some time.

Good Luck

Johnno

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d...s2/Default.asp

There you go mate........I was wrong

I recommend that you use the "horses mouth one" also note that you will need to do some other updating as well. If you use the file that I posted, please delete it FIRST.

tnks for the link will do some "serious" work tomorrow.
    thnks
    sry i posted in wrong forum was not sure where
    never crossed my mind that .nix was unix lol
    usually late at site 1-2am.
    thanks for your respond and solution