Thread: Hard Drive Question

Hard Drive Question

Im a bit short on money and I have two hard drives (not many MB not sure how much) and I was wondering if I could hook both of them up into one comp so I could have a faster comp?
    I AM FROM CANADA.....AND THEY THINK I AM SLOW EH!

yes, you can hook up two drives but it won't be faster,you'll just have more space.
    most motherboards have two IDE ports.. each can have a master and a slave drive on it. So, you'll have a total of 4 available (like 3 HD's and one cdrom, or 2 and 2)

cool thanx for the help!
    I AM FROM CANADA.....AND THEY THINK I AM SLOW EH!

Elite Hacker
    You actually can hook up two drives and have it act like one with raid. It will be a little bit faster too if I remember correctly. I have never really done it but it is definetly an option and I'm sure someone else here has done it and can explain how to do it. Your motherboard will have to support raid though. Also search google and this site until you get a specific response to your situation. You can probably find how to set it up pretty easily on google. Good luck

There can be 4 devices in all on ur motherboard.One is a CD-ROM.If u do not have a writer u can have upto 3 hard disks as floppy drive is seperate.The speed does not depend on number of disks though fair amount of free space in both will help the speed a lot

Hi,

As already suggested, adding a drive will not neccesarily speed up your computer. However, you should check to see which drive is fastest if any. If there is a difference, I would make the fastest one the "C" drive with the main operating system and applications on it. Use the secondary drive for data and stuff that you do not use very often or is intrinsically slow, like office applications.

Make sure that you defragment regularly.

As mentioned, a RAID setup is faster (almost2x) but only if you use RAID0 (striping). In this configuration you are using both drives simultaneously. They should be of the same type size and speed, and you need a motherboard that supports RAID. I suspect that you do not have this, and your drives are probably old, so RAID0 is not recommended, as if you lose one HDD you are history

You don't tell us much about your setup, but I would look to increasing RAM as the easiest way of speeding things up.

Cheers