Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new and being attacked as we speak.....

Have you recently downloaded any pictures with the extension .exe? lol Listen I say there is a good chance it's just a trojan so get a firewall and a cleaner and stay DISCONNECTED cause if it is a trojan and someone means business it aint a thing for them to wipe your drive. This is no big deal really just take precaution. You could also log his IP and later resolve it, record the time of attack, and contact his ISP with the information and violation. Assuming, of course, that is the case.

Thumbs up booters

if you get the macfee firewall it will stop programs from entering your computer and messing with your files or kicking you off of the net at the sametime if you need more info email me and i will he;l you the best that i can

First I'll give you a few tips about sniffing a connection. Sniffing lets somebody read what is going over the network (IMs, web requests, file downloads, etc). In order to do it you have to be either on your local network (you said you're the only computer on it, so thats not the case) or on the network your connecting to (In this case Yahoo's network, I PROMISE you he's not on that network). You can't just sniff a connection from anywhere.. few exceptions, but if this guy is going after you like you say he is then I doubt he would know any of those methods.

So on to the other ways he might be doing something. Like its been said before, Trojans. They're small applications that let people take controll of your computer over the internet. Programs like subseven and bo2k are pretty popular among the skript kiddies (forgive me if there are more out, I just can't think of them off the top of my head). They'll let people do things such as take a screenshot of your computer, open cdrom drives, format the computer, and all sorts of other annoying stuff. They're pretty trival to get rid of, a good antivirus such as Norton or Mcafee should be enough to get rid of *MOST* trojans.

If you're freaked out just because Yahoo keeps closing, it might just be a software problem. Try reinstalling yahoo. It also might be a booter program, they're harmless. All they do is send strings of HTML and such in an IM window and yahoo doesn't know what to do with it so it closes the program (correct me if I'm wrong here. Its been along time since I've had to deal with one of them. Ahhh.. back in the old AOL days.).

Here's my take on the whole situation. If the guy has been bragging that he has screenshots of your computer and has been telling you he's a hacker, the most likely he's just trying to scare you or he's a script kiddie that wants attention. He's probably not good enough to invoke any high tech hacks to get on your system. If he has anything its most likely a trojan on there that you installed on accident. If you have a CD burner go back up all your music on it and any other files you may need. Try to stay away from backing up any executables (screensavers, games, etc). If you don't have a burner go, go get one they're cheap and its not hard to install. After that, if you're REALLY worried about this and none of the other applications have shown anything (antivirus doesn't detect anything etc..) then reformat the computer. **IMPORTANT** make sure you have everything you need backed up!! Once its formated its ALL gone, you can't get it back.