Driver stuff

Thread: Driver stuff

Driver stuff

Im having problems with browsers. I used IE for a while, but it would always unexpectedly quit, usually 10-15 seconds after I opened it. Sometimes the error report would tell me there was a driver conflict. So, I moved to using Firebird(mozilla). Every now and then, but less often, I get the same unexpected quits. What drivers are most commonly associated with screwing with browsers? I've never heard of this before, and yes, I am fully updated with XP.

Thanks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which website are you looking at when this happens?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I've been on AO a lot lately, but its been happening anywhere. Ive got norton antivirus and firewall updated if it means anything

It doesn't tell you which driver is conflicting? Have you checked your hardware manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation points?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Yup, that was the first thing I checked, and theres no notifications. I have a feeling the problem is elsewhere now- I just tried installing openoffice and Java, and neither successfully installed...

Hrmm... virus? trojans? other apps running? Maybe it's the Norton's? Try disabling Norton's firewall and install another firewall?

What I would do is shut down every unnecessary process, then uninstall all the troublesome drivers (unless of course you know which ones are causing the problem) and reinstall them
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?

AO French Antique News Whore
    Un-install Internet Explorer and try re-installing it! Might help! Good Luck!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Regal Making Handler
    You can't uninstall IE within xp, if it becomes damaged you can repair it with either of the following:
    Click start>run and type src /scannow then click ok. Have your xp disk to hand as you will need it. The next method involves regedit so make sure you back up befor doing this.#

Click start>run and type regedit & click ok
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.
    Change the value from 1 to 0 then click ok. Exit regedit then reinstall Explorer, you will have to go through windows update to re-install all the patches after this.

If this doesn't cure your problem i would suggest you look at what web sites you visit, check for nastie scripts etc. Update your AV software and run a scan.

By the way all the info above is freely available from microsoft here. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;318378
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry