choosing between 2 new comps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: choosing between 2 new comps

Question choosing between 2 new comps

ok, my moms gonna buy a new computer and theres two that were looking at im not too sure which one is better so id like to ask for some people who know their stuff (cause i dont)
    i already asked if we could build one but she said no....

here are the two different ones

computer A

hp pavilion pentium 4 proscessor 2.8GHz
    512MB PC2700DDR, 160GB hard Drive (thats big right?)
    48x cd-rom (max speed), dvd=rw/cd-rw combo drive,
    7-in-1 media card reader, 6 usb ports (2 in front),
    HP image zone software

*no monitor
    $1080

computer B

hp, amd athlon 2800+ processor (is that better than pentium 4?)
    17" flat screen monitor, 512MB RAM memory, 120 gigabyte hard drive, cd-rw and dvd drivers

$750

B doesnt give as much information...
    which one would you get? which processor is better?

thanks

Ammon

Well basically, your paying for the pentium name. That is why computer B is less expensive. One thing about AMD and Pentium processors though is that even though the AMD says Athlon 2800, it won't actually run at 2.8 ghz. It will run somewhere around 2.2-2.4ghz I believe.

Your not getting as big of a Hard Drive with computer B, but I don't think that you would actually need a 160GB HD. So my choice would probably be Computer B. Now of course if you wanted to be adventurous, then you could build a computer yourself.

I do suggest though that you look into a Dell, or some other brand, as I have had bad experiences with HP/Compaq Technical Support people. I'm sure you could find a similiar deal on another computer.
    =

thanks, i thought 160 was realy big but i wasnt sure
    ammon

160 is very huge believe me. 80 GB is more than sufficient as u can write all movies,mp3s,warez on a cd as u have a writer.
    Abt processors, AMD is also supposed to be very good though both processors vary quite a bit & cannot b compared.But with 512 MB ram u neednt worry at all.

The real question is what is it going to be used for?

For normal domestic or office use both are perfectly adequate. Computer A has a "combo drive"..............I am not happy with those on reliability grounds, although the newer ones are probably better. Computer B has a more traditional seperate DVD and CD drives.

IMHO you will not spot the difference between processors in real life, other than the price. AMDs are generally better value.

As for drives, what are the speeds? The 120Gb should be 7200Rpm, but the 160Gb might be 5400? I would say that 120 is more than adequate, unless you have some very special requirements.

I always say that there is no point in paying for bragging rights when the kid next door will have a better one in three months time. Also remember that software is aimed at what the supplier sees to be the average equipment on the market, not at very high spec. stuff?

You do not have any specs for video or sound? Also what empty slots are there for memory etc....In other words, how "future proof" is the kit, in the way of supporting upgrades?

At this stage I would go for B as it seems better value for money, and is better integrated insofar as it includes the screen.

If you go to the HP website, you should get a better like for like comparison in terms of basic specification details?

Cheers,

BTW: This machine is a PII/266 with 128 Mb of RAM, and is perfectly adequate for home use. If you want to play fancy games, remember that PCs were NOT designed to do it. I generally advise to get a Playstation or X-Box or whatever as these are purpose built and have 64 bit processing (maybe even 128 these days?)

If money is not a problem, go for :-

computer A

hp pavilion pentium 4 proscessor 2.8GHz
    512MB PC2700DDR, 160GB hard Drive (thats big right?)
    48x cd-rom (max speed), dvd=rw/cd-rw combo drive,
    7-in-1 media card reader, 6 usb ports (2 in front),
    HP image zone software

*no monitor
    $1080

its a better spec.Dont forget , you'll have to add monitor on top of that.It all depends on what you are going use it for and how much $ you can burn!

Dr_Evil

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I would say, for home use choose the cheaper AMD box, it will be fast enough to do all your office work, play music, games, dvd,... but you should get some more specs on that box.
    What kind of ram for instance? DDRAM and DDRAM is not always the same, there's a huge difference between 'no name' pc2700 ram and Kingston HyperX low latency garanteed. I'm not happy with combo drives either, cause they tend to be bad and fail faster (allthough I experienced they did so). But if you only want a box for general use, both will satisfy your needs. So it all depends on budget and personal choice.

GreekGoddess
    I realize that HP and Compaq offer really great packages that are affordable and great pricing plans and rebates, as I own a Compaq myself, but their support is absolutely horrible.

There's nothing more frustrating than removing everything off a computer, and then sitting there setting up partitions to reinstall and when you put "Compaq's XP cd" in to start the process you get a blinking red screen that says "Contact COMPAQ support".

I got stuck on the support line with some guy with a thick Indian accent that didn't seem to understand a word I was saying. I had to wait and get a recovery cd from them that would specially partition my drive so that I could put their version of windows xp back on my box. That's the stupidest thing ever. Not to mention, I was still under warranty, and they CHARGED me for it.

Luckily, I knew someone who also owned a Compaq, and in the mean time, I borrowed theirs to set up the partioning.

Honestly, though...stay away from this proprietary crap, it's nothing but a bunch of trouble if you decide to customize your computer at any point. (Yes, upgrading hardware will void your warranty, be sure to read the very small print at the bottom of your contracts.)

If you know someone who builds computers, ask if they'll sit down and help you to build one, the experience would be good and I believe that you'll be better off.

Thanks for your help everyone i think ill go with computer B
    ammon

Now I never had any problems with compaq if I needed to reinstall an OS.

I never had to make extra partitions or anything. I just absolutely hate talking to there support people.
    =