Government Security Clearance

Thread: Government Security Clearance

Question Government Security Clearance

I was wondering with all of the jobs out their now requiring a US government security clearance how a person goes about getting one of those. Is their some way of getting one without the process being initiated by your employer and does anybody know how difficult they are to obtain like difficult or nearly impossible?
    \"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.\"
    -Jeff Pesis

I don't believe that a private person can obtain any kind of government security clearance, without it being requested by a government agency of some sort.
    And depending on the type of clearance needed, it can get very involved. When I was in the service, I had a high security clearance. I remember filling out (what seemed like) thousands of forms, detailing my life and what I knew of my Dad and Moms lives, and all the way back several generations. The FBI did a complete back ground check on me, including interviewing almost everyone I had ever known. And this was repeated every couple of years.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Yeh that is what I was guessing but what can I say wishful thinking.
    \"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.\"
    -Jeff Pesis

You need an employer who is required to obtain it for the job that you do or site that you work on. I am in the UK but got our MoD, NATO and DoD clearances without any problem.

AFAIK you could not get one privately, and it could take up to three months depending on whether you had one before, and the level that is required, and any opther checking that might have already been done.

Cheers

You only get a clearance through your employer, and they must have a reason for doing so. With changes since 9/11, the length that it takes to get a clearance, even a little one, can be easily a year, depending on several factors in your background (ie, bankruptcies, divorces, drug use, etc)...

Regardless, if you see it as a requirement for the job, don't worry about having to obtain one, the company, if they hire you, will take care of that.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)