Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus Apps becoming a law

The only thing an average uiser whants are:
    1 browser the internet
    2 Download songs
    3 Chat
    4 burn cd's
    Lmao I know some friends who brag that they have a 200 gb computer, NVIDIA Video Card, Sound Blaster card, and its in there own room.. All they do with it is Chat on AIM..

h3r3tic,

I don't use any av at the moment, but if they get some team together and build a free app and have the team working on it constantly and constantly updating it I think it is a good Idea.

I hope that you DO.......

For those who do not like to pay, I would suggest AVG from Grisoft......it works quite well, is from a major supplier and happens to be free in the USA to private users. Regular automatic updates & all.

Http://www.bitdefender.com

They do P2P stuff, but also a personal AV for DOS/Doze/Linux

No excuse for at least making an attempt?

Cheers

I can't see legislation being the answer.

The law could be neither useful nor enforceable. It is probably illegal to copy mp3s over p2p, but people still do it. Most of them don't get caught for it.

It is illegal to have warez - but lots of people still do it and very few are prosecuted.

Even if you did invent a law insisting that they have AV software (which would be stupid because there are very good reasons NOT to have AV software under some circumstances) - then people would ignore it the same way they do software piracy and music copyright.

Slarty

Elite Hacker
    I don't use any A/V. I used to use AVG but it never detected anything in the few months I had it. I don't do that much email, and never open attachments which I am not expecting. I do have AV on one of my computers and that is the computer I use when I download something that might have a virus, then I check it and transfer it to the computer I wanted it for in the first place. I am one to not mind reinstalling an os given that I have done it many times now, so if my not using an AV software brings me to that, no big deal. But for now I don't have AV software installed on any except one of my comps.

If someone is driving a car with a flat tire and has a muffler that is broken off, they are going to get pulled over and fined. Also if they don't have a license to use that car, then they are going to be fined and told to get one.

Maybe computers should be the same way. People should get "computer licences" that show that they have some common sense on how to use them (test questions on updating frequently, and what is an AV or Firewall) Also computers should be inspeceted before they are allowed to enter the networks (like a car being inspected before it is able to be driven) This way people who don't know how, or don't have a "healthy" computer can be kept away from are nice pristine networks.

If we are controlled we rebel, if we are not we whine. There is no simple solutions, personally I just look out for myself.

Sorry if I seem negative, I just found out that my 8,000 dollar a year car insurance isn't going down. **** New Jersey.

DeafLamb

No. That will not happen Lol.

-cheers-

Maybe computers should be the same way. People should get "computer licences" that show that they have some common sense on how to use them (test questions on updating frequently, and what is an AV or Firewall)
    ..Kids are going to have to learn how to use 20 yr old typewriters now

I don't know if what I typed expressed my thoughts clearly. My above post is all in sarcasm, I guess I should of better eluded to this as emotions are not easily conveyed through plain text.

DeafLamb

It won't matter if they make it the "law".

I have users bringing in their PC for me:

user: "I think I have a virus, cause my computer is acting all funny and stuff."
    me: "Do you have antivirus on your PC?"
    user: "Yes, it came with my computer."
    me: "Ok, do you have updated antivirus on your computer?"
    user: "Oh, you have to update it?"
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Usually when you open an AntiVirus program, there'll be some kind of button with the words "update definitions" with text thats big enough to see without glasses.. And most anti virus programs today update by themselves..

Kinda hard to fail that test