I have no clue...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have no clue...

I have no clue...

I just recently got into the internet security business, and im completely stumped on how to start off. I know that everyone says you have to read and read and read and then read some more, but everything i read is either for old systems like 95 or completely repetive in itself and of other docs. I was just wondering if mabey somebody could give me a few tips on how to start off. Thanks in advance.

Good rule of thumb:
    Buy some books in your professional field. I'm not quote sure what specific area of security you're in, but read read read is a very good thing to do.
    http://www.half.com --- is a great site for discount books, you'll find a lot of recent stuff there for cheap.

The only thing I can say, is ask plenty of questions (intelligent ones, always do your research before hand, people appreciate this). Pay close attention to those around you, and what they do, its a lot easier to piece together a puzzle when you know where all the pieces lie. And like I said before, read plenty of books.

http://www.google.com ---type in a question you might have there, and you might just find your answer. I've found that 9/10 times, google will have what you're looking for. Its an IT department tool of choice

Good luck!
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Can I suggest a healthy dose of 'common sense' is required:

Generally speaking if something looks or sounds stupid, it probably is.

Oh yeah, and the only safe assumption, is to assume that everything is a security risk - The secret to this game is to understand that risk and manage it.

It's not just about technology, it's lots about people too.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

I agree with steve, there's nothing worse then a false scence of security (i've read this somewhere but i forgot where).

In order for you to understand how to properly secure a box, you need to minimaly understand how it can be exploited. Everyone tells you to read but there are few links so i took the liberty of gathering a couple for you:
    IT library

Securing a DNS server
    Loads of Whitepapers

these are just some of the million places u can start with. Do a google search on the subject and you'll see what i mean.

Search the AO's database, they have a ton of things you can read and analyse in order to increase your knowleadge. And make sure you scan popular security foruns for questions you have, 99%chance that someonne asked them already.

You can also use some popular security tools to know more or just have the proggies do the work for you

I just recently became a brain surgeon, does anybody have a few links to help me out? :P

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Developer Extraordinar
    Ah, the security scene... and being new to it. Well, I dove right in, set up Apache, installed Linux toyed around with them abit, got more advanced into both of them, messed sround with PHP, asked questions here, and there when I needed them, and did my best to try and understand whatever I could, whenever I could. We're all still learning everyday so don't ever let yourself think you are the top ****, becasue you think you know everything. My advice look around the forums, there's some good posts here. (Mind you there are also some terrible ones) and ask questions, and do your best to try and learn whenever and where ever you can.

MB
    Come to UnError.com

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by groovicus
    I just recently became a brain surgeon, does anybody have a few links to help me out? :P

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    Now your trying to take the piss. If you've just recently become a brain surgeon you should know the links, you should at least have kept an up to date list during your training, but anyway here's what I've got.

http://www.headsrus.com
    http://www.brainremovalsimplified.net
    http://www.braincomponents.com

I love the comments about the brain surgeon.

However, there are many books to look at if you're interested in network security.

There are many facets to it as well. Are you interested in general firewall type security? Do you want to be router/switch specific? Or are you interested at the OS level? Itrusion detection? forensics?

I would start out by getting some books on the specific topics you are interested in starting out in. Personally, I would begin with what you have close to you now, maybe Windows? SANS has some great online courses.

Good luck...
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

Developer Extraordinar

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    I didn't know Brain Surgeons had to be computer experts in the security feild now. </sarcasm>

What does being a brain surgeon have to do with being involved with Computers and wanting to learn, he asked the best way to get involved. It wasn't a stupid question, and FYI. there is a huge difference in a brain surgeon and computer expert.

MB
    Come to UnError.com