Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have no clue...

Elite Hacker
    I don't recommend books, I recommend experience. Set up a couple of boxes with nothing important on them and start up a bunch of services and let them get attacked. I would do that with no firewall, but install an IDS such as snort so you can see what is going on. That is a good way to learn. Just make sure that nobody takes control of your box, you don't want them launching attacks from it. I would just reinstall the OS like every week, it is good experience, and each time set it up more secure, plug something up that was attacked the last time. Over time you will start to recognise certain things and learn to protect yourself from them. Just my 2 cents.

Try Hacking Exposed by McClure, Scambray and Kurtz. It gives a nice overview of a wide variety of attacks and countermeasures. It really helps to understand what the attacks are doing if you want ot stop them.
    Worst. Sig. Ever.

Originally posted here by MicroBurn
    I didn't know Brain Surgeons had to be computer experts in the security feild now. </sarcasm>

What does being a brain surgeon have to do with being involved with Computers and wanting to learn, he asked the best way to get involved. It wasn't a stupid question, and FYI. there is a huge difference in a brain surgeon and computer expert.

MB
    Maybe he whants to know about security to hack the Matrix. If he has brain surgeon skills and has computer skills. If he were Mr. Smith In the part were they have morpheus trying to crack the matrix code out of his head. He could have split open morpheus head take out the brain or just the part were the info could be stored, and he would have the code and with his computer skills he would know what to do with that code:P

The Matrix Doesn't have me anymore

LOL