XP Security
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Security

XP Security

I have my hard drive partitioned for RH9 and Windows XP Pro, but my %SYSTEMROOT% (sp?) is 'G:'. Will that help with security? If it does not help with security, how can I change it back to 'C:', or do I need to do a clean install?

-Cheers-

Elite Hacker
    It's called security by obscurity, and it won't really help. I wouldn't change it back though, it is not like it works any differently being G: or C:. That only confuses worms looking for c:\windows. A lot of worms do exactly what you did in your post and look for %SYSTEM ROOT%. So it doesn't help against those. The best thing is to have a firewall, antivirus, and anti-spyware programs installed on the computer.

I did not name it 'G' on purpose. I want it to be 'C' because some lazy software programmers have software that looks into 'C', not %SYSTEMROOT%. Oh well. Thanks for your help. As for the AV, Ad-Aware and ZA. I have it, update it, and use it.

-Cheers-

Developer Extraordinar
    I did not name it 'G' on purpose. I want it to be 'C' because some lazy software programmers have software that looks into 'C', not %SYSTEMROOT%. Oh well. Thanks for your help. As for the AV, Ad-Aware and ZA. I have it, update it, and use it.

-Cheers-
    Well, if their lazy you shouldn't be installing their software. ;-) Anyways, I think the only way is to repartation and re-install Windows if there is already a C:\ if not, I think there are partation programs that can change the letters, but I'm not sure if it can change the letter of the default (One with \WINDOWS or \WINNT) drive. Good luck.

MB
    Come to UnError.com

uninstall windows problem solved
    why?

Originally posted here by crashburn181
    uninstall windows problem solved
    Not everyone has this option. Although I'v taken my fair share of swings at Windows, you really CAN make Windows secure. Heres how:

1. Install two anti virii software packages. That way if one misses a virii the other can pick it up.

2. Get a good firewall. Zone alarm, pro or free, and Windows XP's firewall, ARE NOT good ones. XP's wall only watches for inbound, meaning a trojan can easily send out your credit card numbers and so on too the **** head thatg ave it too you.

Macfee firewall is pretty cool. you can limit pings per second, or have it not even respond to them, which helps in two ways: Not responding doesnt let anyone know your up on the net. Limiting pings is good for people trying to DDOS you with the ICMP protocol.

A hardware firewall is best, but working with what you have is also good.

3. Set a damned Password. And DO NOT put a sticky note on your monitor with the password on it. Physical security is often overlooked.

4. Create a user account to use daily.

5. Turn off remote help, or whatever the hell it's called.

6. Rename the Admin account, and then make a limited access account and name it admin. This way you knwo when someones trying to get in.

7. Go to control panel. Click on network and internet connections. If you have a cable or DSL connection, click on network connections and then youll see your connection and LAN connections. Right click on the non LAN connection, choose properties. click on file and print sharing and select uninstall. Select yes to uninstalling it when the pop up comes up.

8. Install all the Windows updates.

9. Update and run Anti virii.

10. Update your firewalls and MAKE SURE YOU TURN THEM ON....The nifhtmares I'v heard of people sintalling a great wall, configuring it, then not turning it on.. *Sigh*

11. PM catch22 and ask him for more help since he knows more about Windows security than Bill Gates.

12. Subscribe to a Windows security mailing list to keep on top.

Return here to see when a new exploit is released.

Also, make sure your office and other software packages are updated.

Do not allow web sites to install things unless its a company you buy products from. This should keep you from asking why you have pron in your favorites. And why your home page got changed to "Http://www.suckMeDry.com" or something like that.

Banned
    By: gore
    XP's wall only watches for inbound, meaning a trojan can easily send out your credit card numbers and so on too the **** head thatg ave it too you.
    I second that motion.

While Xp's firewall is mainly for home users, and ultimately it's not going to be as robust as some of the third-party firewall solutions out there (such as Mcaffee and Black Ice), if you use Windows ICF in conjunction with one of these third party products, you're going to end up with a pretty hefty line of defense against malicious attacks on your computer.

One thing to note is that the XP firewall stops inbound code only, it doesn't block anything leaving your computer. If you infect yourself with a disk, or if something happens to slip through the firewall, like downloading a Trojan Horse (a virus embedded in another program), you could still send out malicious code to all your internet friends.

I use a hardware firewall, so I dont need the one embedded in XP, but I've heard that the embedded firewall in XP is a stateful inspection firewall. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
    t.e.k.n.o.

Banned
    Originally posted here by tekno
    I use a hardware firewall, so I dont need the one embedded in XP, but I've heard that the embedded firewall in XP is a stateful inspection firewall. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
    QUOTE:KorpDeath
    AntiOnline Senior Member
    It's a practical step. Yet another layer of security can't be a bad thing... No one can argue against having more security.

I Second that motion
    !mitationRust

very true, more security is never a bad thing. I just dont really trust XP's embeded firewall enough to use that ontop of my hardware. I will say tho, that the new 3Com embedded firewall on their NIC cards is very slick. It communicates to a master server to pull its policy down.

anyways.....I was just wondering if in fact the one in XP is a stateful inspection firewall.
    t.e.k.n.o.