Thread: Proxy Check...

Proxy Check...

Hello
    Well just want to inquire something about proxy. I want to know that if I know that my computer is going to internet through proxy. How can i know the address of proxy server. I might sound a little dumb. I use Internet Explorer.When I go to Internet Options>>Connection>>LAN setting>> There is no option checked.None of the three options is checked. So i think that there might be a possibility that my ISP is using some proxy server or is there anything possible as well??? I am connected to internet through a cable modem and cable modem is attatched to my NIC. Its kinda when i installed xp, it detected all the drivers and i just double clicked the internet explorer icon and i was already connected. I am using Windows XP. I want to know that if there are any proxy services used by my ISP ,how can i know the proxy server's ip without inquiring my ISP. Infact i want to use a http tunneling application that requires the ip of proxy server. Any help would be appreciated.

go to www.myipaddress.com for your external ip.

go to www.downloads.com and look for my ip for your local ip address.

If they match you are unproxied. if not you are browsing through a proxy with that address !!

What mark_boyle2002 said, except that if they do not match, your are either going through a proxy server or are behind a NAT device. They are not the same thing, and depending on what you're trying to do, the difference may be significant. (For instance, proxy servers will typically rewrite your HTTP headers, whereas NAT boxes will not. [Further digression: a NAT device operates on layer 3 or 4; the network or transport layer. The web proxy operates on layer 7; the application layer.])

Telling if you're behind a NAT device, a web proxy, or both is a little tricky. Here are some hints:
    • If your machine's IP address (in the control panel/ifconfig/etc., not from www.myipaddress.com) starts with 192.168 or 10, you are behind a NAT box (and possibly also a web proxy). These addresses are not routable on the internet, so the NAT device is obviously transforming your packets on the way out.
    • Some servers run software that tried to detect whether or not you're behind a proxy. The sites seem pretty unstable so I'll just link to a helpful Google. Of course, a sneaky web proxy cannot easily be distinguished from a NAT box.

I believe J3R will go far here and will be up at the top of that AP earners list in no time.

It's nice to see people joining the community again who enjoy helping others and have a good base knowledge.

I would just like to add that you can get a proxy/nat/switch/gateway checker at www.majorgeek.com

Look at my Signature
    -Producer

hey Mark Boyle and j3r thanx for the help..I am on ma way....AO rocks

cool sig

Producer your sig is pretty cool. How does it work?

The way his sig works, is that image is actually hosted on a different website. So when this page loads, your browser makes a request to the site where his sig is. When your browser is contaction that site, it gives away informatoin about your OS, Browser, and as you might expect, it knows what your IP is. So since it has that information, it puts it into his signature and voila.
    =