Thread: Site of the Week: Outpost Network

GreekGoddess

Exclamation Site of the Week: Outpost Network

I found a very unique site that might appeal to quite a few of you out there. It's got the same idea as eLance, minus the charges that apply to submit your work. You have to apply to be a part of the contests, they have specialized sites for audio, design, domains, programming, and templates...then you enter contests submitted by people and if the 'client' chooses your work, you win the monetary prize.

If you're accepted, I can really see this as a good starting point and a good way to make some quick cash for some of the talented people here at AO.

http://www.outpostnetwork.com/

awesome, i've been looking for a place to test my abilities and try and make some $$, great link, i would recommend it to anyone looking to see how honed thier skills are.

definatly a good good site
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

thats a very cool site GG - will have to keep my eye on it

v_Ln

Thanks for featuring us GreekGoddess. Just to correct you (if I may). Design Outpost and Audio Outpost have contests. Programming Outpost is kind of an eLance thing but we're changing the format to a more personal approach by using the forums for the bids and project postings later next month.

Domain Outpost is a site to buy and manage your domain names and Template Outpost is a site that sells pre-made templates.

Once again, we appreciate you spreading the word about our sites.

Palmer Barr
    Founder - The Outpost Network

Seems a little interesting now I was just wondering how does the payment work exactly ?
    Since you have to sign-up what are your expactations from that person ? Do you just take anyone or do they have to meet certain qualifications ? How do you know that someone will get payed for the work they have done ? I am probably guessing that you guys must earn something out of it aswell in the long run. Since you guys probably help them find someone that is in need. It would be nice if you could answer these questions. But overall it seems really cool to what you are doing.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

The way it works at Design Outpost, the "contest holder" pays before they post their contest. Basically it's considered a deposit of the prize. We hold it until they announce the winner and then I pay the winning designer. The designers must fill out an application and wait for an invitation to compete. Only around 1 out of 100 applicants get invited. The odds are better if you are a template designer or illustrator.

We look for pleasant people who are professionally employed or are active freelancers and are self-employed. We prefer them to have a minimum 5 years of experience, a decent size portfolio, and 20 something and older.

We add a 10% fee on top of the prize money. That fee is paid by the contest holder, after PayPal takes there 2.2% processing fee we clear 8.8% per contest prize amount. Some of that goes towards the hosting, upkeep and administration of the site.

Hope that answered everything, thanks for the kind words

Palmer

Thanks for replying to my questions. I hope that you guys success with your very unique idea. I am pretty sure that you will find people in this community who will be interested in in joining.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam