Bah on RH 9

Thread: Bah on RH 9

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Bah on RH 9

I use Rh at work since the students either use RH or Suse. This gives me a chance to play with updates by RH and such fun things. I recently got RH 9 from Linux User and Developer so I thought I'd upgrade my work install. As luck would have it I went to do a live demonstration of nmap and got a weird error.

error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Apparently RH 9 upgraded their OpenSSL from 0.9.6b to 0.9.7. *BAH* I recompiled and still got the error.Very weird. So I did a little search and thought I'd try the rpm install. The install went and the program worked flawlessly. Weird.

I decided to try ettercap (another fun class tool). Same error. Recompile. Same error. Download RPM. It tells me this time that it's missing dependencies. So I went back to rpmfind.net and downloaded (and installed) the OpenSSL 0.9.6b. Now everything seems happy (until I find something else to break).

So if you run into this.. that's how you fix it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Developer Extraordinar
    I didn't have that problems when I used RedHat 9. I had a few other ones though, I forget now what they were, but I moved to SuSE and SuSE was amazing.

MB
    Come to UnError.com

Hey MsMittens, is that a patched version of 0.9.6b? There were a whole lot of vulnerabilities found and fixed...the latest version of 0.9.6 is l, released 4 Nov...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    the latest version of 0.9.6 is l, released 4 Nov...
    Ok.. What a bizarre numbering scheme. They go from 0.9.6k to 0.9.7c to 0.9.6l!??! Geez.. Looking at their site I see:

2183726 Nov 4 12:53:03 2003 openssl-0.9.6l.tar.gz
    2183608 Sep 30 14:50:16 2003 openssl-0.9.6k.tar.gz
    2791797 Sep 30 14:50:15 2003 openssl-0.9.7c.tar.gz [LATEST]
    I think they are updating 0.9.6l with patches but major changes were done with 0.9.7[whatever letter]. This might explain why I saw libssl3 rather than libssl2.

Geez.. I don't know if it's patched version or not. All I know I was pissed off and then made it work. So I was happy.

I know it was 0.9.7 (at least that was what was responding to queries through RPM and locate). Maybe it was 0.9.7a.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage