Computers: The Addiction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computers: The Addiction

Computers: The Addiction

Hi

I am writing this thread out of frustration.

I love computers, i always try to learn more, i dream about computers and see myself as a "semi-computer" , thus to become a machine , means thinking logical, and that i strive for.

But, then a small part of me cant stop thinking about the SOCIAL implications of a computer.

REASON:One day my family wont be no more and all memorys that i will have is...........
    ..........ABSA-****ING-LUTELY NOTHING..........

I used to spend atleast 11 hours of my day on my computer(i used to wake up about 8:00 and go to sleep about 01:00 the morning and i do home-schooling).

After realising these sociel implications, I now try to be with my family(especially my mother (in her condition)) as much as possible.

Therefore i now only get on the PC when my MOM goes to sleep(about 22:00) to about 02:00 then i go sleep.
    I feel so lonely/frustrated/sad/depressed when i turn my computer on and KNOW that i could be sharing
    these precious moments with my family.

Does anyone outhere feel the same???
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are
    trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

free your mind neo . if your really worried about becoming addicted to your computer, then limit your usage, turn off your comp and try to go without it for a week. here is another thread about computer addiction : http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=140651
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

The ultmiate way to cure your computer addiction...... A good Sledge Hammer.
    =

If you feel that way then yeah try going without the computer for a couple days. But like you said you are trying to spend some good quality time with family so i think you are set. You know yourself the best so you be the judge.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Hey, I don't know your home & family situation, but have you tried to get them a little bit involved?

Even old people will take to computers if you go about it right? They are just a bit over-awed at first?

Just a suggestion...............hey man I appreciate the family thing, but don't get paranoid huh?

Good luck

Hey, I've got the same problem, when I put on my computer I can't stop and I'm using it for the rest of the day, evening, (night if parents aren't home). Here comes a girlfriend in handy which takes lot's of time so...
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

addiction? What addiction?
    I don't see myself as an addict. It's not my fault if my 2.4ghz heart can pump 20gb of data a day right?

Now seriously, if you feel you're in to it too much, do what has been said: turn it off. Here's an idea- if you can spare the time, go do some jogging (1 hour at least). If you are really a comp. rat you'll be so tired you wont even be able to move urself.

Yeah, also one thing I once did was to fubar windows so I had to re´nstall it, I was too lazy to do that still on that same day. This is how I forced myself to get out and do something else, skated the rest of the day...
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Smile

Originally posted here by el-half
    Yeah, also one thing I once did was to fubar windows so I had to re´nstall it, I was too lazy to do that still on that same day. This is how I forced myself to get out and do something else, skated the rest of the day...
    Doesn't windows do that by itself? LOL, ok, I'm joking, and that was a little shot below the belt at M$...

But I found a way to pull myself away from the computer a while ago. (I started to become a little Anti-social a while ago, mind you I always have been. I just need to spend lots of time alone, gives me time to think.) I got involved in music and now play in a rock band. Instead of spending $4000 dollars on a new uber computer and other uber stuff that would last me 2 years before having to buy a new one, I spent it on a new guitar, new amp, and lots of extras that will hopefully last me 25 years or more. I jam at least once a week, and practice lots, which keeps me off the comp more often.

Mind you, after been at school (around lots of ppl) and work (retail = lots of bitchy ppl) I still find myself just wanting to hide in the basement for a few hours and serf the net. I can still interact with ppl, but I can still keep my personal space. (and playing guitar all the time doesn't work when my parents are home pretty much always when I am and they don't like hearing a guitar all day... Its a 2x12 100watt btw )

Besides, I find its easier to find a girl that appreciates a good guitar player rather than one who appreciates someone who takes pride in runnin *nix and writing 'I love you' C++ programs.

But thats just my views on the topic, and my two cents, in Canadian currency...

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

INSTANT MESSENGERS!!!!! The answer to all your problems!!! You guys can all use it all at the same time, and your family will be touched that your trying to show them such a large part of your life.

In one family I lived with, they were scared of me and computers because they were afraid I was going to get myself in trouble, what I did at the time took alot of courage, and LOTS of thinking. I took the CPU out of my computer, bent the pins and gave it to them. I did that to show them that I was trying to work with them and that I was doing my best ot help our relationship. Now you could probably just go and get a new CPU, but the significance is that all my computer stuff I have had to obtain myself, and although the CPU was only a P2...it was all I had. Try to do something similiar with your family!! Your right, computers will be here forever, your family wont. This doesn't mean you have to give them up, but lay off them and I think you are off to a great start!!
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?