hardware question

Thread: hardware question

hardware question

Hey everyone,
    I'm not very good when it comes to hardware of the computers, but take a look at these specs:

AMD XP 1800+ Combo Kit 1 177.99 177.99
    * ECS K7SOM+, S.462, 200/266FSB, Video/Audio/LAN, DDR200/266, Retail Box
    * AMD Duron XP 1800+ Processor
    * ECS Socket A Cooling Fan
    * 128MB DDR333 PC2700 Non-ECC Samsung
    * 40Gb ATA100 WD400BB 7200rpm
    * Integrated 64Mb 3D Video Accelerator
    * Integrated 32AW SRS Audio Adapter
    * Integrated 10 / 100 Mbps LAN Adapter

Now I looked up the motherboard, ECS K7SOM+, and it said that it only supports up to 266mhz ddr memory (which is PC 2100 i think?). But they bundeled a PC2700 memory piece instead.

So does that mean that having PC2700 as apposed to Pc2100 memory wouldn't make any speed difference? So did they give me faster memory than would actually make a difference, since the motherboard would be the bottleneck?

Hope that made sense...

Thanks
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Yeah you can stick PC2700 memory in there, but it will only run at PC2100. So they are probably fooling ya there. PC2700 memory runs at 333mhz.

Also, if you are going to be playing games, that integrated video card is not going to be any good. and I would suggest 256MB of ram instead of 128. Windows will run fine with only 128, but I think you'll see some difference with the 256 in there.
    =

i did order another 256mb memory stick to go with the 128, same speed. Oh well, won't make the same mistake next time.

Is that related to over-clocking at all?
    Thanks

-The Sawshank Redemption

No, nothing I've said has anything to do with overclocking. The extra 256 sure won't hurt anything. It'll just make it a bit more faster

Overclocking is when you go into the computer BIOS and manually change frequencies for the CPU or Memroy Bus.
    =

Well overclocking can also be changing the voltages running through the items which will increase speed also. But thats more dangerous to the system.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

yanksfan,

You may be lucky, the MoBo specs can change. The site will have the original spec. and the latest might well support 333Mhz.......without seeing the box that the MoBo came in you wouldn't know. I have a MoBo right now that says 266 in the manual but has a 333 sticker on the box.

"We reserve the right to change specifications without notification"

If not, you HAD to get 333 to go with the strip you already had, you cannot mix them.

As already stated it will not go faster than 266, if that is the best the MoBo can actually do.

Cheers

Also, just a side note. We got one of those motherboards and although it did have DDR ram in it and the RAM speed was set to 133mghz. We needed to crank up the RAM frequency to 266 get the chip to perform at the 1800 Mghz speed.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

How would I make sure its running at the right speed, and how do I turn it up if I need to?

-The Sawshank Redemption

It is in your bios settings, you get a prompt to enter "setup" just before the operating system boots. It will be in "advanced settings" or something like that.

Cheers

Originally posted here by yanksfan
    How would I make sure its running at the right speed, and how do I turn it up if I need to?
    Its all in the BIOS screen. Under Ram frequency. Shoulds be in speeds of 133, 266, 333 Mghz and up...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)