unix flavors

Thread: unix flavors

unix flavors

i have been thinking a lot... and i was wondering about unix... does anyone know which flavor of unix is best for someone swiching from linux???
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Banned
    Ummm BSD? Or try google?

FreeBSD. It's the easiest to install if your coming from Linux. After you get that down try some other BSDs, then go for AIX or Solaris, cause they rock.

all the distros are pretty much the same aside from little differences i have heard alot of knowledgeable people say it doesn't really matter which one you start on as long as you are willing to learn and be patient. my personal fav is red hat but thats my opinion many people swear by slackware or SuSE, but its really up to you. good luck

edit: oops i didn't realize you were talkin about Unix, haha sorry, indeed my suggestion would be BSD, but its really preference again. try using goggle.com and do a little research.
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

Originally posted here by gore
    FreeBSD. It's the easiest to install if your coming from Linux. After you get that down try some other BSDs, then go for AIX or Solaris, cause they rock.
    You really like Solaris? eh, I hate the stock desktop setup lol. But i do have to admit it runs pretty damn quick on the Sun Blade's at my school.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

Originally posted here by kr4y3
    You really like Solaris? eh, I hate the stock desktop setup lol. But i do have to admit it runs pretty damn quick on the Sun Blade's at my school.
    i think solaris is great and manageable, you may hate the stock desktop but thats a small price to pay for more the stability , security, etc.

And solaris as for what i know is not so common between scriptkiddies, there xploits for it but is not widely used by them.

heck no they dont use Solaris! maybe if they found it cracked online, but its actually got a decent price tag! its nice though

He didnt mean using solaris he meant using the sploits for em. Just to clear up that confusion

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by RootTux
    heck no they dont use Solaris! maybe if they found it cracked online, but its actually got a decent price tag! its nice though
    I'm not sure but you used to be able to download a free copy of solaris for Intel if it's for personal use. The only problem I found with it is the lack of hardware support. So check the compatibilitylist before trying to install.

Just checked the sunsite. You're able to pick up a copy of Solaris 9 for $20,-. You'll only pay for the media and shipping.

http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.