---[_File_Extension_Problem_] ---

Thread: ---[_File_Extension_Problem_] ---

Question -[_File_Extension_Problem_]-

[ OS is Windows 98 ]

Well here's my problem ... a couple of days ago I downloaded some text files of the internet. Now whenever I want to open any of the files I get the error message box which tells me the following ::

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking Folder Options."

Well I did exactly as it told me.... So after I finished doing that I simply went back to the folder where I had the files saved and well to my surprise when I doubled-clicked one of the files i got another box:

[Open With]
    Click the program you want to use to open the file
    "net-security.File".
    If the program you want is not in the list , Click Other.
    Description of ".File" files:

So I selected wordpad and click the "Ok" button.

So I decided to go back to the Folder Options and under the "Files Types" Tab I searched for the new file extension that I had added ::

Here are the following settings for it ::

Description Of Type : File Text Document
    Content Type (MIME): text/plain
    Default Extension For Content Type: .File
    Opens With: Wordpad

--[Actions]--

Action:
    open

Application Used To Perform Action:
    C:\PROGRA~1\ACCESS~1\WORDPAD.EXE "%1"

Use DDE:
    I did not select that because I have no idea what "dynamic data exchange" is ...

Action:
    print

C:\PROGRA~1\ACCESS~1\WORDPAD.EXE /p "%1"

Use DDE:
    same thing I didn't select this again ..

Action:
    printto

C:\Progra~1\Access~1\WORDPAD.EXE /pt "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

Use DDE:
    same thing I didn't select this again ..

Can someone please tell me where I went wrong ?? Cause I've tried but so far I have been unsuccesful ... Thanks ... Agent ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

DDE is just a protocol applications use to share data with one another, so i don't think it should be a problem (although i checked my options and i haven't got it on).

Instead of wordpad try using notepad [ C:\WINNT\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1 -on the open], same thing unless the file is too big.
    I had the same problem once but it was with *.jpg... if tweaking the file options ain't doing the trick try to dl another reader that sets the options 'open with this program' automaticaly.

AND if that still doesn't make it right, when the 'open with' box pops-up, try checking the 'always use this program to open...' option.

I can't think of any other way, but if it strikes me i'll get back on this.
    +2cent in tha box.

Thanks for the suggestions Sm0kinP0t ... I would change it to Notepad but the files are quite large, and as for the second suggestion tried that but it will still display it . I am still trying to figure out what's wrong but I have still been unsuccesful .. I was wondering does any one know any website where I can download a *.reg file which can do this for me ?
    Thanks ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Hi Agent_Steal,

The first thing that strikes me is that it is an odd extension, having FOUR characters? Try copying one and renamimg it .txt It should then open in notepad/wordpad......look at the top line or two and you should be able to check the real extension.

Another thing you might try is to open your Web browser and try to open one of the files with that.........could be some sort of webpage format.

AFAIK notepad and wordpad won't open something with a four character extension. You might also try .fil as an extension and associate that with wordpad.

Just a few wild guesses

Good luck

Thank you nihil never thought about it that way. I did open one of them but instead of renaming it with the *.txt or *.doc extensions I simply renamed it to *.File extension I had created, that seems to work. As for opening it with a web browser humm that I am going to try.

I was just wondering why do Notepad/Wordpad not open any files with a four character extension? What does the acronym AFAIK stand for ?

But thanks again for the help ..
    Operation Cyberslam
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Elite Hacker
    I'm pretty sure that notepad and wordpad can open a file with a four character extension such as conf. I used notepad to edit my httpd.conf file. And don't forget about .html. Some people write a whole .html webpage in notepad. I don't think it is a problem. AFAIK stands for as far as I know.

Hi Agent_Steal and h3r3tic,

My suggestion, which is something of a guess, is that the actual file header is different from the extension? This will cause problems with a lot of older, less flexible applications? (notepad or wordpad)

I suggested using the web browser, which seems to be less limited regarding .html and so on? The ".file" could be almost anything?

If you can post the first 5 lines or so of the file, after re-naming it to .txt, we may be able to see what it really is?

Interesting thread, I could not find ".file" in any of my documentation?

Cheers

Actually the files that I downloaded are from this website :
    http://www.phrack.org

Nihil download this and you will see what I mean:
    http://www.phrack.org/leecharch.php?p=55
    That link will automatically open up the download window.

When you finish downloading the files.Make sure that you have a program like WinZip because you'll need to extract the files first.Then next open one files with Wordpad and another with the Microsoft web browser and you will quickly notice the difference.

Interesting I opened up one of the files with Internet Explorer and the browser was able to display it perfectly. As to why this happened humm that I do not have an answer to. Maybe you can shed me some light on this Nihil. I would really appreciate it.

Interesting Note: Whenever I open any of the files with Wordpad the text gets messy not like when I open it with the web browser the text is all perfectly aligned.

I saw you talking about headers in a file Nihil can you explain this to me a little bit more.

Here's a good website to find info conserning different file extension.

"The File Extension Source."
    http://filext.com/index.php
    I did a seach for .File and I think it got one hit for it but it gave me no real good info.

Out Of The Topic :The info on Phrack is quite interesting even though at times it can be very mind boggling. Since I am still slowly learning about networks, and how tcp/ip works and the sort ...a lot of their stuff is really advanced.
    Operation Cyberslam
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Hi Agent_Steal,

I did as you suggested. The first thing I noticed that the extracted files had NO extension, and that "properties" just said that they were "files"

So I copied a couple with the extension .txt Being an old Dos fart I used "Winfile" You have this as well as you are running Win98.

It opened them in notepad (I always use that for suspicious files so they don't "go off" in my face) and I found the following: [P55-1]

Phrack goes out plaintext
    I did not see any extra file data, which confirms that they are .txt files

If you rename them all .txt files you should be able to open them either in your browser or in wordpad/notepad.

I did not see any difference between the browser and wordpad layouts

The reasons I made my suggestions are:

1. Notepad shows you the file "warts and all" So you can usually see the file type at the top, unless, of course it is a .txt file anyway.

2. Yor browser can sometimes recognise things that you cannot, due to its default associations. This can be particularly useful with image files unless you have a lot of imaging software anyway.

If you open in wordpad, make sure you open as a .txt file NOT the default .doc, or it will do some re-formatting, which probably explains your comment:

Interesting Note: Whenever I open any of the files with Wordpad the text gets messy not like when I open it with the web browser the text is all perfectly aligned.
    As I said the Browser is a bit smarter, and realises it is opening a plaintext (.txt) file.

I hope that this helps,

Cheers

Thanks for the great help nihil and everyone else . I guess that we have come to a good conclusion to the problem. Now I was just wondering since I have to rename all the files with the *.txt extension is there any free available software that can rename multiple files at once ? Cause it can be a pain in the butt selecting each and everyone file individually and renaming them and changing their extensions ... Trust me I've renamed 100 files one time and was it ever boring and long and arduos.
    Operation Cyberslam
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam