*nix standard?

Thread: *nix standard?

*nix standard?

I'm trying to decide on a *nix operating system to pick up, and I can't seem to find any kind of standard flavor. I know there are benifits from one system to the other, but is there a flavor that is accepted as a standard at the professional level? I want to learn a flavor that will be valuable in the workplace, thats my point. Any suggestions?

Originally posted here by kryptonite0110
    i have been thinking a lot... and i was wondering about unix... does anyone know which flavor of unix is best for someone swiching from linux???
    You already made a post about this topic, just with diferent words. you shouldn't make threads with diferent names asking the same question. you should post in the other thread.

I posted it already? I know I am forgetful, but I dont think I posted this somewhere else- I just want to know what buisnesses use, not whats easier to switch to. Great, now I'm confused.

Soda_Popinsky sorry, i would like to apoligise, it was kryptonite0110, i think i say youre name some were in there. I been awake for 6 days now and drinking tons of coffee, i just read and type and have serios problems with consentration and spelling too. i hope you acept my apology. and in the othrer thread you could just ask youre question.

install slackware on a 486. thats about as basic as you can get. even though Debian owns slacks ass =)

Originally posted here by RootTux
    install slackware on a 486. thats about as basic as you can get. even though Debian owns slacks ass =)
    LOL, well that's youre personal experience based on the results that you have had, personaly i go with with SuSe, (thats my personal favorite) i can say that it owns debian a*s too. but im not going to say it. Based in the results that i have had, and i base that in the fact that i used several linux and *nix based distros. i have had less problems with SuSe that with any other distros, Slackware its very good also.

But if you read the thread again he is asking for *nix based not linux:P

So i recomend FreeBSD or NetBsd, if you whant something more exiting Solaris

Errr....Isnt Linux included with UNIX? Linux is MINIX based, MINIX is unix based....right?

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by notAkiddie
    Errr....Isnt Linux included with UNIX? Linux is MINIX based, MINIX is unix based....right?
    Close but no cigar. Linux is a UNIX work-a-like. It's also only a kernel, nothing more and nothing less. It's the distros that make it into a working OS.

UNIX was (is) the one and only original UNIX and is owned by SCO these days. FreeBSD took the original source code and removed all the licenced code and replaced it by opensource. It's also a complete OS.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

hmmm, sir dice, your history of UNIX seems a little spotty, but it is short answer to an often covered questions, so in my normal rambling way I am going to bring attention to it, but then ignore it outright.

Soda_Popinsky, the BSD/Linux || RedHat/Slack/Debian debate is just like starting a conversation with "I'm thinking of converting, what's the benefits of becoming Christian over Buddhist?"

It is a long heated debate that never gets anywhere because for some aweful reason geeks are staunch in there support for THEIR distro. I mean the only reason I am posting is because GrApHiCTrOn mentions FreeBSD and NetBSD but left out my personally favorite OpenBSD. Though I have used NetBSD, and I did like it. And SuSE is a nice distro of linux (or atleast it was at 6.3), and Mandrake pissed me off with its stupid tools that get in the way of a good *nix experience.

As I've gotten more experience I've moved away from the Mega Distros like SuSE (even 6.3 took up 5 gigs as a full install, that's just crazy, but then so is actually doing a full install...), now I prefer things like the BSDs which are more daunting to work with but in the long run end up being slightly more elegantly gruff. But people will disagree.

Just grab a distro, preferably one that you can fine a really good book to go along with, grab your machine, kill the crutch of Windows dual-boot and lock yourself in your room until you become a *nix guru, or atleast a *nix user. That's what I did minus the locking of myself in my room, 'cause I would've been kicked out of college and lost my fast ethernet connection..., instead that happened 4 years later...

I'm babbling again, so it is time for me to run,

peace,
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel