Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very inexperienced, need a little advice.

Thanks a lot guys, I've learnt quite a bit today. I'll pm you about that PC mark, that sounds like a great idea. I hope to be sticking around here for a while so thanks a lot for the help.

if your looking for a cheap computer check out the dump, or a school, the computers that youll find
    can be pretty awsome.

Dami3n: Welcome to AO. Remember, this is a security website not a hacker one.

As Nihil said: learn how to secure a PC first. I recommend the following to help you learn...

* AO Tutorials: as you stated are awesome!
    * Learn TCP/IP: learning the inner workings will give you much insight
    * Books like Hacking Exposed series, Hackers Beware by Eric Cole, and others. These will provide you insight into how hackers think in effort to help you SECURE your system. Gotta know the enemy in order to know how to protect yourself.
    * Some other good references: just a couple...there are hundreds...
    SANS Reading Room http://www.sans.org/rr
    Insecure.org site http://www.insecure.org/reading.html

Happy reading.

I don't want to get in this arguement again.

But HappyHacker is a Piece of crap come on, the lady has no idea what she is talking about. Just read some of her stuff. My dog could write better Tutorials.

Her vigilante Fun days. Are a joke. I haven't read one yet that half the information is correct on.

I think the place is a joke. There is very little information on the site that is of any use to anyone. If you are maybe just starting out and don't know what Ping or Root are then maybe you will have some use of the place, I don't even mean how to attain Root I mean just simply what Root access is.

Woah, did I see a link to a legal site to hack? The only thing that has ever kept me from hacking was my goody two shoe morals! Is there a list anywhere with sites that are legal to hack?

Dami3n- about that money problem, heres a thread http://www.antionline.com/showthread...for+cheap+free

pretty good thread about getting free computers

Memory put up a thread with links to tutorials, you might want to check them out-
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...&postid=678595

Programing tutorials - click
    And if your planning to buy a book, take a look at the book reviews forum - click

I reccommend you try learning HTML first.. Gives you a feel of programming (kinda).

Cool, thanks a lot. I think I will do that, learning html is one of those things I've been meaning to learn but never gotten round to. I've recently acquired enough cash to get my half built pc (Athlon XP2600, 512-soon-to-be-1536mb pc2700 DDR, 60g S-ATA HDD, GeforceFX5600) running so I'll be setting it up as a dual boot linux/XP system and networking the two together, then adding more computers as I get them. (I live directly near a pylon so I presume I'd need CAT-5 STP to do it with) Thanks for the info and those links came in very handy.
    That tutorials guide link has been bookmarked, nice job for posting it.

T3h Ch3F

???????

Originally posted here by Aftiel
    Good post. Let me offer a couple suggestions.

Be careful with the use of port scanning on random sites. That is normally viewed as the first step in an attempted break-in, and it is possible a complaint will be sent to your ISP.

There are sites that exist TO be hacked, checked out, and explored. If you want to learn more and utilize some tools, these sites are a great (legal) way to get your feet wet.

I am sure there is a complete list on this site somewhere, or you can go to www.happyhacker.org and get a list of such sites.

By the way - happyhacker is posted as a legal site to try and hack.

.: Aftiel

Am I going crazy?

The best thing to do is stop using the word "Hacking" in you search, and that is before you find all the SK appz.

Gezuz man get some ballz and learn the basics first.

"Hacking", with lame azz Dr. Smoke.The G1mp,...... Is not L337!!!!!!!!

Tirade Terminated.

KILL THIS THREAD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If by that you were referring to me then no, I have no intention of "hacking" anything. I might have given the wrong impression with my first post. I'm not very experienced in network security and I (quite ignorantly) tended to lump penetration testing and other related security issues into "hacking" (which probably isn't helped by the media portraying it that way) My use of the tools I mentioned in my first post weren't any attempt to do anything sinister, just to learn the basics of how networks operate and how to secure them. After advice from the members here I've stopped exploring and am going to concentrate on setting up my own network, learning some skills (programming, learning to use linux) and hopefully gaining some insight into how everything operates. I'd much prefer a high paying job to a prison cell so if I gave you the wrong impression i apologise.

T3h Ch3F
    Originally posted here by [Dami3n]
    If by that you were referring to me then no, I have no intention of "hacking" anything. I might have given the wrong impression with my first post. I'm not very experienced in network security and I (quite ignorantly) tended to lump penetration testing and other related security issues into "hacking" (which probably isn't helped by the media portraying it that way) My use of the tools I mentioned in my first post weren't any attempt to do anything sinister, just to learn the basics of how networks operate and how to secure them. After advice from the members here I've stopped exploring and am going to concentrate on setting up my own network, learning some skills (programming, learning to use linux) and hopefully gaining some insight into how everything operates. I'd much prefer a high paying job to a prison cell so if I gave you the wrong impression i apologise.

I am not trying to be an ******* here.. I am just tired of stupid posts. Including many of my own lol.

This last post is just that. Useless. However I see in your posts you are not useless.

Look, just be yourself, you have no reason to try and impress anyone here. This is not a l33t Haxxorz ownzorz site. Although I suspect some black hats :LOL are about.

In a nutshell, behave yourself, Phuking phrase your questions at least in a conspiratory way, hehehe and you will gain knowledge.

Just remember DO NOT try and impress ppl. you will be ripped to shreds lol.

P: Man

Welcome to AO!