New status

View Poll Results: how can i get out of this?

3. You may not vote on this poll
  • post replies

3 100.00%
  • post attachments

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New status

Old Fart

New status

Plain and simple...senior member doesn't mean a thing anymore. The reason I say this is because it is related ONLY to post count which means any post whore can make senior status in no time flat. I propose a new status of "valued contributor" for members with at least 2 years ACTIVE membership in the community.

I'm posting this because to be honest, I don't feel that I deserve the status that I have, and I KNOW that there are others out there who certainly don't deserve to be counted in the upper echelon of the community's membership because they mostly post in cosmos or GCC. We need something to set the REAL contributors apart from the "kiddie-come-latelys".
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I think that's a good idea, but being here for a long time and having a high post count still doesn't mean you're not only posting useless things. I agree with that, there are various senior members that aren't of any special value.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

Having been a member for more than two years myself, I suppose I'm a little biased.

However, I think it'd be good to base ranks on more than just posts and take into account how long a member has been here as well. It's not too difficult to get to 1000 posts fairly quickly if you post 5 or more things a day (as some members seem to).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

It indeed is true that senior member doesn't mean a thing anymore. Some people have been here for a couple of months and are already seniors. Others have been here for over two years, have contributed a lot of quality but no quantity, and still are juniors.

The problem with member-status is and always will be the objectiveness. Post-count is objective. Date joined is objective. AntiPoints are a little less objective... Members' opinions on who is a real contributor are far from objective...
    The only possibility I see here is indeed basing member-status on date joined in stead of post-count. But then again, that doesn't say anything about your contributions.

There is another problem... once you set the rules for member-status, you'll have to live up to them. Back when everything was introduced (member-status, antipoints), no one could ever think they'd reach 1,000 posts, or 1,000 antipoints. My point: you can raise the number of posts required to gain a new member-status, or the number of antipoints, but basically that doesn't change a thing.
    We could set up a system where "valued contributors" have to have 1,000 antipoints, 1,000 posts, and a 2-year membership, but in a couple of months everybody will meet those requirements.

I would on the surface agree that the title 'Senior Member' has lost alot of meaning and agree that the status should not be based soley on post count; however, I would have to disagree some on the requirement for two years...I have only been here a little over a year, but I feel I have made some very good contributions to AO over that time, and to me the time restraint denigrates those contributions...

Maybe there is some happy medium? 1000 posts, 1000 AP's, minimum year? Dunno...

EDIT: I do remember a discussion a long time ago about gold dots, blue dots, etc...maybe adding more teirs to the membership and boosting the Senior Member requirements way up, but giving something else in the middle would be a possible solution?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Its a good idea. Longevity at the site as a rank would definitly seem to do the term "senior" good. But as you have stated there could be people that have been here forever and only posted once or twice so they would be seniors so that would mean antionline senior would mean absolutely nothing again. The only way to truly distinguish the senior from the post whore or whatever else you want to call them would be constant monitoring and even that could turn bias and turn into another florida election scandal.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

United Kingdom: Bridlington

Plain and simple...senior member doesn't mean a thing anymore. The reason I say this is because it is related ONLY to post count which means any post whore can make senior status in no time flat.
    I would go further and say that it never had any great significance, being purely based on post count?

I think that one of the significant points that you make is that all the forums rank equal. Might it not be more sensible to exclude GCC, Ooops a Bug, Cosmos and Tech Humour. The same might be said for antipoints from those areas?

Just having your name on the register for a period of time isn't a solution either, as it takes no account of quality and quantity of contribution? It is just another arbitrary distinction, with all the attendant flaws.

At present, the only measure of "quality" we have are antipoints, but that system has it's weaknesses, as a well established member can give 40-50 at a time, whether they like it or not.

I have no idea what the "right" solution is, but I do not see how another level will resolve it. I would have thought that antipoints should be factored in somewhere, provided we are mature enough not to use them as weapons in flame wars?

Just a few is a difficult problem, and no system will be perfect.

I think it should be based on Antipoints and that we more powerfull members should take AP assigment more seriously and only assign point to posts that have real value and NOT to someone who compliments you. I ain't saying i didn't give out a couple of assigments to meaningless posts but if the new rule applies we should be giving greenies to only contributing members, and with that it will be harder to get senior status and members will have to contribute more to get that status. just my idea.

Elite Hacker
    I don't know if anyone said this or not because I just skimmed over the thread. I don't think we need titles to say who is a senior member or who contributes the most. When you have been here long enough you get to know who is experienced, who you can trust and the people that know what they are talking about. You sort of develop your own list of the people you consider senior members regardless of whether their title is newbie or senior. I could elaborate more, but I think that pretty much sums it up, you know who you respect regardless of their title. Just my opinion.

I don't think it should be a time based thing. Not with a title such as "valued contributor"... I would take great offense to that. I agree that something has to be done about the number of people who reach senior status... but those of us, myself included, who haven't been here that long but contribute would be pushed into a "lower rank" if you will. I take great pride in the fact that the majority of my posts are helping people out or posting useful information. To say hey this person has been here for 2 years they must be a valued contributor is not fair at all. A lot of people who have been here for long periods of time are people that bitch frequently and have many needless posts. Yes there are a lot of new posts whores, but there are some old-timers who would fall into this category as well..
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".