Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Programing!?!?!

Programing!?!?!

I'm becoming very frusterated, I want to begin programming and I can't decide which language to go with. I want to develop windows programs and everything I read is a complete mind****. I want something that is usefull for working with sockets. I want something powerful like C/C++ but something that I can lay out forms like in VB. That's what C# is supposed to be, but trying to find info about that is almost as fun as trying to swallow a fork. Does anyone know of a site that lays a bunch of languages out with descriptions so that one might see them comparitively? That would be nice. Isn't there anything for a beginner? I don't know wtf .NET is or any of that... how the hell would I? Damnit someone calm me down.

OK If anyone else is in my shoes I just found this

http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive95.html

It's kinda helpful. Still waiting for replies.

Calm down , I first recommend learning some stuff like HTML and Javascript, these are not programming languages but they give you a feeling. Then I'd learn Python???
    The first programming language I started with was Java (I already knew HTML, Javascript, CSS, XML), it's not extremely hard but not easy either. Python is much easier than Java but Java looks more like C/C++ programming. Also you have the SunONE editor (never used it but I did use Forte) wich allows you to drag-and-drop gui elements (and it's free)
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

The language used is most often determined by the type, scope, and needs of the project and the timeframes involved. C/C++ is a great language, very powerful, very robust. But along with power and flexibility comes pitfalls, and steep learning curves.

Java is another very powerful language. Java has eliminated allot of the traps run into by newb programmers in C/C++. IMO Java is slower than dirt. I don't much care for it. Plus if GUI's are what you're looking for, AWT and SWING are a pain in the ass to use. Unless you're using MSJ++ then you can use MFC if you are really into torture.

Visual Basic is another great languge, fun, fast, and in the right hands very powerful. Easy to learn GUI's and forgiving code. VB is whats known as a type safe language. It will not allow you direct access to chunks of memory. Which is fine, especially for someone starting out. There is simply no need to use pointers, and access block space. Allot of people will say "VB sucks!" "VB's slow" and on and on. Mostly these people just don't know enough about it.

Then there is the timeless PERL. A true one-of-a-kind. All around good lang. Check it out.

-sbg

There's nothing wrong with Visual Basic except for the fact that it makes you lazy and that is only works on Microsoft but that's not a problem as SevenBleach want's to develop windows programs.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Can I edit forms with PERL? I just wonder what the point of programming command line programs is anymore it just doesn't make any sense to me. I understand for some things but I like graphics.. I guess I'm just a GUI junkie. I might check out VB cause I programmed with Q for a long time so at least I have my foot in the door so to speak.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Perl program have no GUI.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by SDK
    Perl program have no GUI.
    PERL programs absolutely can have a GUI. Ever heard of GTK?

Banned
    Originally posted here by SexyBadGirl
    Visual Basic is another great languge, fun, fast, and in the right hands very powerful. Easy to learn GUI's and forgiving code. VB is whats known as a type safe language.
    Trust me... if your starting out never start out with a language like VB. For one thing the syntax will throw you off when learning new things, mostly all languages won't correct you as much as VB does, and another thing is it makes you lazy as hell. It will tottaly put you in a block when learning new stuff. Trust me I started out with it. And now I feel as if I had completly wasted my time on it. If you ever plan on moveing to new things you might as well jump straight into some form of C since it ties into the same familiar qualities of other languages so well.

What do you think of C#? Do you know much of anything about it? Is developing Windows Apps in C a possibility?