command line *nix

Thread: command line *nix

command line *nix

is there a distro of linux or unix that is just a command line??? i have a pretty old pc and a gui i think is taking up too many resources. any suggestions???
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Any of them would do it. Just don't install the GUI. That's what I did with my FreeBSD since I wouldn't use the XWindows.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

hmmm... why didn't i think of that??? well... which distro would work best for this (some flavors of *nix my be a little partial to the GUI, but i may be wrong...) oh ya, and how would i get internet access??? would that even be possible???

Of course it'd be possible. I've used slackware without GUI, I've used RH and I've used FreeBSD. Heck, I've even done a little Solaris for giggles. Basically, whatever *nix you've used with GUI you should be able to use it without.

Internet access is merely ensuring you have an IP that can connect. Using tools like ifconfig, netconfig (RH only AFAIK) and other network tools you should be able to connect easily. Then you can use lynx (text browser) or links (frame possible text browser) to surf, ftp to download and ssh as usual.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

i think ill do that then...

BIOS Bomber
    one suggestion, Elinks is another good browser you may want to look into. Mittens beat me to this but yes, not having a GUI doesnt stop UNIX OSs from getting online. you can even come here and post and so on without X loaded. also, you can use ICQ and other IM clients without X. do a search on google if you want to read mroe about them.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Oh yes... You reminded me of one of my favs: CenterICQ (it uses ncurses). I used to use this for the longest time. Unfortunately MSN changed their protocol so rather than have multiple progs running I switched to GAIM (gui interface). I forgot about that.

Of course IRC can be done with any number of progs but the one that stands out IMHO is BitchX.