prefetch

Thread: prefetch

prefetch

Please someone, help!

We've been getting an error message at startup:

"ERROR: Could not execute Main: The system cannot find the file specified."

The heading is: WJView Error

I was able to trace it to 'C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch' when I conducted a search for WJView. The file name is: WJVIEW.EXE-0505A0CF.pf.

Questions: What is 'prefetch' & is it important? It kinda looks like a bunch of 'Temp' files.
    How do I repair the error, so that the message does not show up again?

Running XP Home Edition on a Pentium 4.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tee

Thanks!

There are a number of suggestions listed, I'm sure one of them will work.

tee

Prefetch is a folder that is utilized in windows xp, it is used because when Microsoft came out with Windows XP one of their main concerns was to make windows boot up faster. In order to complete this process they created this "prefetch" folder, what it does is save different settings and "preload" all the software stuff so that you can see your desktop faster as you boot up windows. I actually recommend you delet the contents of this folder once or twice a year.

Because if you look in this folder what you will see is a bunch of startup files. once you do delete these files all the programs on your computer will take a bit longer to open the next time but will be back to normal as soon as it has been opened. Kinda like starting over with all the program data. Any other questions lemme know

--Spy
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Elite Hacker
    I guess I should do this so you turn out to be a quality AO member. For future reference please try google. I typed in WJView and that was the first thing that popped up. Also use the forum search to make sure that your question hasn't already been asked and answered.

h3r3tic:

Yes, I did search the forum for an answer, perhaps I had searched incorrectly.

Out of frustration, and a sense of 'I've had it with this thing!', I came here to find answers. I knew that I can count on the members to help.

I have never posted a question before, since browsing the forums have always provided solutions to my previous problems.

Thanks again for your help.

tee