go away?

Thread: go away?

BANNED

go away?

okay ive spent a few years on a place called battle.net.
    a kid there put up his ftp site and name and pass for people to get a soundpack for topazchat.
    i just went to the site and looked around. that was a week or two ago.
    now when i look at my firewall log for the past couple o days i keep seein the ip of his ftp pop up on my log its closing the connections but im wondering why it keeps lookin at me and if theres anyway i can make him go away?
    also my roommate bought a linksys wireless router today and im wonderin if it bein wireless could be any kind of security threat.

First look more closely at your logs and see what ports he is accessing. Send a copy of this to his ISP, other then that there is nothing much you can do. As for the wireless in my opinion it is less secure then actual cable, just due to the fact it is easier to hijack. Just make sure you use the option to password protect the traffic, which I think is an option on most linksys wireless routers.

Good Luck

DeafLamb

No, I don't believe you can make him go away. Maybe if you ask nicely, but beyond that, I can't see a way. But since the firewall is blocking it, you shouldn't worry.

As for wireless routers, they are a security threat. Anyone can pick up traffic destined for your computer who owns a wiresess NIC. It's about as secure as radio communication is, unless it's encrypted. But if you secure it properly, it's just as secure as anything else. I don't use wireless because I don't know how to secure it. But I have gone wardriving in downtown Toronto, not that large a city, and I can usually pick up between 5 and 6 unprotected signals per city block with a laptop and a wireless network card.

So yes, it is harder to secure, but once it's secured, you will have nothing to worry about.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

BANNED
    to figure out his isp

tracert [i.p]

???

To figure out his ISP...

ping -a ip address

this will resolve his IP address to a hostname. Then look at the last sections of the domain name. For example, my address resolves to HSE-Toronto-ppp295557.sympatico.ca. My ISP is therefore sympatico.ca. Then you can send an email to abuse@hisisp, an email which every ISP has.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

yeah tracert his IP, then use the domain name that you get to do a whois search.

www.internic.net use the whois search and that will give you contact info such as email and telephone numbers.

But before you go reporting, one question. Have you tried asking this kid why he is trying to access your machine. Maybe it is not malicous and you could save yourselves both some trouble.

Just my thoughts.

DeafLamb

Edit: Oh well Striek beat me too it. I think my way will work too.

BANNED
    well his name is tech[l33t] and i think hes mad cuz i was pickin on him but yeah im gonna talk to him before i go tattle talein thanx for the help
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...